Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 36 week check up and the MW asked if I wanted an internal exam, since she was doing my GBS test anyway. Being a glutton for punishment and an information junkie, I said OK. She was very gentle, of course, but said my cervix was "right there" and felt soft like butter and baby's head was engaged. 50% effaced, 2cm, 0 station. Exciting! But, it means nothing really, right? I am 36.2 today, and I wouldn't mind going a bit early (though not, of course, before the baby is ready). Can I at least hope that I won't go much over 40 weeks (fingers crossed)?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post

It means you are moving in the right direction, but it doesn't really tell you much other than that. :)
yeahthat.gif

I was about the same around 36-37 wks with DS and didn't go into labor until 39w4d.

ETA: I didn't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer...I agree that even if it isn't predictive of when you'll go into labor, it is still VERY exciting! YAY!
love.gif

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Maurine, I obviously don't know the answer, but I'm excited for you! In my opinion, any effacement and dilating you do now means less work later, right? Go, go, Baby Maurine!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I say that's better than nothing! And information is always good, right? Even if it doesn't tell us labor is coming, it's still fun to know.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It means your body is doing exactly what it's supposed to in order to prepare for the birth of your baby. You never know how long the whole process is going to take, but at least you know your body is doing it's job!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I like to hear that I'm something....this past time I was not dilated at all, but 'very soft'. Didn't get me excited at all - I was thinking that maybe these practice ctx I'm having all the time were doing a little something - ha. I am with the others that it really doesn't tell you much at all, but it is exciting to know your body is doing SOMETHING to prepare, ya know?!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, thank you ladies! Trying to keep my mind open to all possibilities. Go, body, go! :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm 36 wks too and was 70%, 2cm and -1 today. My dr told me that I need to take it easy for the next few days until I reach 37 wks so that I don't go into labor! She wants baby-girl's lungs to develop a little more.

Now, this is my 2nd child and I had my 1st DD a week after having very similar #'s.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was 1cm yesterday and I know it means nothing pretty much as far as when baby'll get here it's comforting to know my body is doing what it should be and that the contractions I was having earlier this week were atually productive! Yay for productiveness!

·
Registered
555 Posts
It means nothing as far as WHEN the baby will be born, but on the bright side, that's 2 cm down, only 8 to go! For some women, those first 4 cm take a lot of work and time, so even if the baby stays in for 4+ more weeks, you are 20% there when the time comes :)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

It means nothing as far as WHEN the baby will be born, but on the bright side, that's 2 cm down, only 8 to go! For some women, those first 4 cm take a lot of work and time, so even if the baby stays in for 4+ more weeks, you are 20% there when the time comes :)
Whoo hoo! That's true!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.