Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old ds is puzzling me lately. He hasn't cried this much in a long time. You may automatically think..."teething! food sensitivities!" as I did, but it just doesn't seem to fit.
: He only cries like this at two times of the day (both when he's tired). When he needs a nap no matter how early I catch his tired cues he starts going crazy! And lately he's started bawling in the middle of the night every.time.he.wakes.up. We cosleep and I am right there to respond...it's not like I'm taking forever to get there! I don't mind the night wakings when he usually just nurses back to sleep but nothing I do seems to helps.

I just didn't see how it could be teething or food that I'm eating since it only happens at those times. Anyone have any insights for me? This is not fun!

TIA!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Barring allergy/cold/teething:
Perhaps he is angry/frustrated because he is tired, and hasn't yet figured out how to get himself to go to sleep. He wants to sleep, but doesn't know how tro do it, gets angry, cries... becomes more excited so has a harder time falling asleep.... it gets into a rediculous cycle. Eventually her will learn how to relax and sleep.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Milestone.
At the 6 mo mark sleep got to be a battleground here too- then she figured out how to settle herself into the sleeping position of her choice and things got better again. My boys did it too.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
When my dd is teething she's often happy in-between, but she wakes up every night screaming
: Like last night... sigh...

-Angela

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Oh yes, my ds was like that at 6 months. Actually, I think it lasted a couple months at least...and had started maybe around 5.5 months. Lots of people on here were posting the exact same thing about their 6 months old, which helped me get through.

Anyway, it's usually milestone related. At 6 months, they have the desire to get moving. But first they have to learn to sit up (and think of all the coordination of muscles, the work that it takes to learn that), and get themselves into the sittting position, and to crawl. There is just so much they want to do, and so much they can't do yet! Imagine how frustrating life is. It makes a person overall pretty miserable, and sadly for mama, pretty miserable to be around.

~Sierra

P.S. Sometimes teething pain can come out in funny ways, like only at times when baby is not busy concentrating on something else, or when baby is tired. My ds started teething right around 5 months, and it was fine at first, but then the teeth just came one right after another-- boom, boom, boom, boom, boom-- and I know that contributed to his sense of misery at that time in his life. When ds went through this stage, I would give him some cold things to chew on and some teething tablets to see if it might be teething. And on occassion I gave him tylenol if I could tell he was teething and nothing else would take the pain away. Anyway, turns out, most of the time he was just frustrated about his limited mobility and all he wanted to do. But some of the time it was teething. So it was really a combo of things. It all got quite a bit better when he learned to crawl, but then it got bad again shortly after because he wanted to walk LOL! Now that he is walking, he's in the toddler phase, so now he has actual toddler "tantrums" because he is dealing with independence stuff. So I've gotten really used to these phases that are tough. Having said that, I can't remember any more difficult than that 6 month phase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.