Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are about to out grow our thursties covers. We are soon to start solids- I hand wash everything - YEEK. HELP!<br><br>
What is the best diaper system for older active babies/toddlers? I would like to stay with something and prefold as we already have them and I dont have allot of money- plus they are easy to wash.<br><br>
So if you could go back in time to 6 mo baby and set yourself up for the next year or so diapering what would you get?<br><br>
Also, I may be the biggest dummy in here but can someone explain wool to me? Do you wear a cover under shorties and longies or are they the cover? What do you use- prefolds? How do you wash them? Arent they hot in summer? Itchy? I love the idea but i dont understand the ins and outs...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I still like thirsties, and will probably stick with them, along with wool. As we look at having 2 in diapers soon (due Aug!!), I am thinking more and more that I will gradually go toward pf's and fitteds with covers. I get so sick of stuffing pockets!!!!<br><br>
As far was wool, it really absorbs quite well. I'm really a fan of wrap style, because I don't like having to pull off a soaker when poop has leaked out of the pf...then it smears...yuck. So, anyway...wool absorbs nicely. I made some and some are softer than others. Just depends on what kind of wool it is! But many of the ones you buy are made from a soft wool interlock and they don't even feel like wool. They are soft!<br><br>
You put the shorties or longies as the cover - you don't need a separate cover. They might be a little warm in summer, but not as bad as a PUL cover. Imagine being all hot and sweaty then wrapped up in something sort of like plastic. Eeew. For washing, I just buy Eucalan (has lanolin) and run them in the delicate cycle in my washer and hang to dry. Many people had wash them, and many people have to lanolize them, but for us the Eucalan is enough (you don't rinse it out). You can use a pf, fitted or contour under them, as long as they are snugly snappied or pinned.<br><br>
Wool doesn't retain odors much and has natural antibacterial properties, so you don't have to wash them often. Except if they get soiled.<br><br>
I will certainly be using more wool this time around, but probably a lot of PUL with my nb because getting the poo out of the wool is a little more work than a normal PUL cover.<br><br>
hth!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts