Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hello ladies. This is becoming too much to handle. As I mentioned in the title, my supply is dwindling down to almost nothing. I have been taking lots of fenugreek, eating oats, drinking a guinness or two a day, drinking lots of water, pumping every 3 hours...I can hardly feed my little 6 month old daughter anymore. I wish I knew how to fix my body into making more milk. I have been stressing which probably doesn't help the situation. I do not want to give her formula, really, the store bought kind...Should I suppliment with homemade formula made of raw goats milk? There are a lot of recipes out there...I don't really know what to do.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<p>bump</p>

·
Registered
64 Posts
<p>I cannot help you, but I'm in your same situation only I've been EP for 3 months and sadly I have to supplement with formula since I'm not producing enough milk for DD. Have you tried mothers milk tea??</p>

·
Registered
64 Posts
<p>Also, what type of pump are you using? I just rencently swtiched from a Lansinoh to a Avent and it has made a slight difference in the amount of milk I'm getting. Are your pump flanges large enough for your nipples to fit all the way through without touching the sides? That can affect your milk output too.</p>

·
Registered
116 Posts
<p>Here are some things that the mamas in an EP'ing group that I belonged to would do when they had a supply drop:</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>1. Relax.</strong> This is the hardest one to do, but also the most important. Stressing about not being able to feed your child creates a vicious circle because the more you worry, the more you stress, and the less milk you will be able to produce.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>2. Have a power-pump day.</strong> This works well if you have someone that is able to help you take care of your little one. Basically, devote a day to JUST PUMPING. Pump every 20 minutes for a day. It doesn't matter if you only get a little each pumping - what you are trying to do is mimic the power-feedings of a growing kid. Sometimes a day or two of doing this is like a reset button to your brain.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>3. Massage your breasts.</strong> Massage them while pumping. Do breast compressions while you are pumping to help stimulate your milk glands. Use warm compresses beforehand.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>4. Snuggle your little one.</strong> Have your baby close-by while pumping - sometimes it helps with production.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>5. Drink Gatorade.</strong> Many women swear by the powdered Gatorade. I would mix mine at half strength and drink it throughout the day. Most women got the best results with the sugared, powdered variety of Gatorade instead of the premixed stuff. </p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>6. Stay hydrated.</strong> Make sure that you are drinking more water than other beverages, especially if they are dehydrating or caffeinated.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>7. Increase your levels of soy.</strong> If your little one isn't sensitive to soy, adding more soy to your diet is helpful due to the natural plant estrogens in soy. You can add soy protein powder to smoothies, mixing it into oatmeal, or adding it to baked goods. Try a tofu stir-fry or eat edamame. Sip soy milk, put it in your tea or slip it into smoothies. (Silk Plain is my favorite - it tastes pretty darn good!)</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>8. Try a different pump.</strong> I had rotten results from the Medela I used in the hospital but did great with the Ameda that I bought myself. Depending on your location, you might be able to rent a hospital-grade pump to give it a try.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>9. Get support.</strong> Not to slam on the MDC forums, but the PumpingMoms group at Yahoo (<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PumpMoms/" target="_blank">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PumpMoms/</a>) was my lifesaver. The moms on that group were very supportive in answering questions, listening to rants, and offering advice. Whether you go online or find support from pumping moms off-line, it's good to have someone to talk to when the going gets tough.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>10. Know that you are doing a great job.</strong> You've managed to exclusively pump and give your little one the best chow on earth for six months. That is something to be proud of, mama! Even if you have to supplement, know that every bit of mama juice that you can give your child is better than none at all, so you're doing something awesome :D</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Best of luck, mama!</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts