Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just woke up next to my 6-week-old in bed and noticed that he is HOT to the touch. I took his rectal temp, and it's 101.5. Yesterday and again this morning he's been having very watery stools. One diaper was FULL of what looked like bright yellow water. He's also been congested and coughing for about a week and a half. We took him to see the pediatrician last week for these things, and he said it appeared to be allergies. The congestion & cough have both gotten worse in the past day or so. He's actually been coughing so hard, he'll throw up if he's just eaten. (And he's not normally a spitty baby.) He is still nursing well. Since it's Labor Day weekend, we wouldn't be able to see a doctor until Tuesday morning. Would you go into the ER for these symptoms in a 6-week-old?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
YES. RIGHT AWAY! it could be RVS which is deadly in newborns.<br><br>
call the ped oncall for today and tell him or her you are on your way to ER. if you can't get through to anyone on call right away just go and let the hospital find the oncall ped.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, while it alarms me that you both think we should have already gone to the ER, we haven't. The babe woke up about two hours after I posted earlier, and he was fever-free and smiling/cooing at us. He seems so alert and content, I'm just having a hard time knowing if he's sick enough to rush to the ER.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I wouldn't trust any pediatrician who would diagnose allergies in a snotty newborn. It is impossible for babies and toddlers to have seasonal allergies the first season that they are exposed to the allergen. Usually kids don't develop seasonal allergies (hayfever, ragweed, etc.) until they are at least 3 years old.<br><br>
I, too, would worry about RSV, though it's unlikely since it's not RSV reason (I'm just paranoid about RSV and tiny babies). I would at least call a doctor (there should be someone on call who you can talk to even if you can't make a sick visit appointment).<br><br>
HTH!<br><br>
Lex

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
i am glad his fever is down. how is the cough?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If he is congested and it is draining, that could cause a little bit of diarrhea too. My little one had that a few days ago. My ped said as long as he doesn't get a fever, it should be ok to watch him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts