Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is having a severe issue. This morning he noticed his penis had swollen a bit, and urinating was uncomfortable. It looked as though he had a small golf ball under his skin. It was more "up" the shaft and away from the tip of the foreskin. Tonight, the whole penis is completely swollen. The tip is so swollen, it seems to be almost turning inside out and pointing up slightly at an awkward angle. The tip looks shiny. Urinating is next to impossible and is causing him great anxiety and pain. He did get a few squirts out before bed time. He spent much of the evening soaking in the tub, which seemed to comfort him and help with the pain, but the swelling concerns me. It has gotten considerably worse in just a few hours.

I did take him to a convenient care doctor this afternoon. He suggested we go to the er and try to get a urology consult. I don't know what to do. My local ER would not do well with this, I think I would need to go someplace 1.5 - 2 hours away. We have an appointment with a foreskin friendly doc on Thursday, but I don't know if we can wait that long.

I'm very concerned. Should I take him to the ER? Try to wait until the morning and hope it looks better?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Please take him in ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I suggest you take him to ED as well. If he can't urinate then he is going to be in a lot more pain soon from a full bladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did decide to take him to the ER. The urologist gave us a steroid cream for phimosis, told us to give him sitz baths, and suggested ibuprofen for pain. My little guy is SO MISERABLE. It has not improved much. He struggles to urinate in little drops because it hurts to do more than that. The swelling on the shaft may be down slightly, but is still pretty significant. The foreskin is still very swollen and turned up. I think there is urine caught pooling in the foreskin, there is a big bubble there even when he is not urinating.

We have another dr appointment tomorrow, but he's really struggling. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience to share? Could the tub soaks be making things worse? Help!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ack, he doesn't need a steroid cream, throw that away. If he has an infection he needs antibiotics. Go in again and tell them you want a culture done.

Plain baths with bicarb soda, a good half cup to a half bath. After that apply Organic Virgin Coconut oil. It has antibacterial properties but it might be a bit too late for that to work. If you can get it, have him take some grapefruit-seed extract http://www.livestrong.com/article/304951-grapefruit-seed-extract-for-children/ or even just to apply to the outside.
Give him a jar of warm water to try and pee into. Those things should help a little, but it really sounds like he needs medication at this point.

Has anyone being trying to retract him or opening the end to clean? Or has he been in a jetted tub? Those are the main causes of infections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the suggestions. This morning marked 48 hours since this started, and we finally saw some improvement today. He was able to urinate without crying. He was able to move around a bit easier and the swelling seems to be going down. He's a long way from looking as he usually does, but we were very thankful to finally turn a corner.

I have no idea what brought this on. No one has ever tried to retract him. We never "clean" it or use any soap there. I hope nothing like this EVER happens again.

·
Registered
962 Posts
That's good to hear. Sometimes there is know way of knowing. I would mention to him not to touch himself with grotty hands, in case he did it to himself. Doesn't hurt to have the coconut oil and grapefruit seed extract in the medicine Cabinet. It's good for yeast and cuts etc.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
My ds went through the severe swelling and pain when he was around 2yo his was caused by me letting him touch himself with dirty hands after playing outside during a diaper change.

I used OTC bacatracin and oral abx from the Dr. his cleared up in about 48 hours. though it took about a week for the normal appearance again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts