Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a 6 year old sister. Our dad has anger issues so no questioning where she got her bad temper but a lot of times she starts hurting herself (by punching herself in the forehead and slapping herself) and says she wants to die or threatens to kill herself when she gets angry. Both my older sister and I are suicidal but I never said something like that in front of her or at all, my psychiatrist told my parents about me being suicidal so I never ever said anything about killing myself in my house at all. I'm not sure if my older sister said anything about killing herself in front of our little sister but she claims she never did. What should I do? What do I tell her? Should we take her to a professional to talk to as well?

Some other info:
~She plays this game called Roblox and people make music videos and stories with this thing on YouTube and she has watched bully stories and other sad stories since she likes the game, I think it might be from that a lot
~I think this started happening around the time my older sis and I started going to psychiatrists
~She has threatened to run away as well before and has packed bags when she has but was never able to get out the door because we stop her and convince her to stay
~She VERY RARELY gets punishments besides scolding and yelling when she has bad behavior (such as hitting someone or calling them a name)
~She is actually spoiled rotten. She gets to eat dinner where the computer is in my parents' room, which neither my sister and I got to do, she has her own tablet, my parents pay for episodes of one of her games and sometimes other games on the tablet when my older sis and I don't get to do that
~Today when I was just sitting next to her and gently rubbing her arm to comfort her and calm her down after she started getting mad at not winning some video game, she told me "I'm never going to like myself. I'm never going to believe in myself." After a few minutes earlier when I told her if she was going to get so frustrated with the game then she should stop playing for a little while and she told me she didn't like me so our dad scolded her and she (reluctantly) said she liked me then went on to say, "I don't have enough love to love myself because I put it all on you and Sophie (me)."

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
Hi there. This does sound like a serious situation, for her and for your whole family. It wasn't clear to me who was in charge at your house or where your mom might be, or other partner to your dad. If you and your sister do have issues already there might also be a genetic predisposition to depression and anxiety.

Please encourage your parent(s) to get her seen by someone right away. If no one is listening please speak with her guidance counselor or crisis worker at school and at least get her screened. Most elementary schools have a mental health worker now.

Please take it seriously. Children this young DO self harm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is very serious. If you haven't done this already, please speak to your parents about it and encourage them to talk with her pediatrician. If your parents aren't doing anything, please find another responsible adult to tell ASAP. It could be your psychologist, your sister's teacher, and/or your sister's doctor. Legally, any of those people have to report if someone in the home is endangering a child—including if the one doing the endangering is the child. Do not wait.

·
Registered
317 Posts
First of all, don't blame yourself for this happening. This isn't your fault. It sounds to me like you are a loving and caring big sister. It's wonderful that your little sister is able to trust you with her feelings and worries. You're doing a good job in your role as sister.

Second of all, tell your parents if you haven't done so already. They found help for you, so I'm sure they will find help for your sister. Unless they are neglecting your sister it's not your responsibility to find help for her or to involve the schools.

BUT if your parents are not taking this seriously ask your psychiatrist what to do.that seems like the best starting place because your psychiatrist is already familiar with you and your family situation. If you haven't discussed this in therapy, call right now and say it's an emergency.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there. This does sound like a serious situation, for her and for your whole family. It wasn't clear to me who was in charge at your house or where your mom might be, or other partner to your dad. If you and your sister do have issues already there might also be a genetic predisposition to depression and anxiety.

Please encourage your parent(s) to get her seen by someone right away. If no one is listening please speak with her guidance counselor or crisis worker at school and at least get her screened. Most elementary schools have a mental health worker now.

Please take it seriously. Children this young DO self harm.
My mother is usually working, which is why I didn't mention her in these situations. Though my little sister does get yelled at by her sometimes when she starts having a bad behavior.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there a church or something where you could go for counseling? You need to talk to someone to get ideas on how you can handle the situation. My first inclination was to say talk to your teacher or a guidance counselor at school but I am not sure whether that is best since CAS might get involved and that might make things more problematic short term.

The video games do not help, maybe figure out how to make a paper airplane and show your sister or do some other craft or something she might like (look on youtube on how to do it), building blocks might help?

Maybe give your sister the survey below to fill out and then act on it...again just brainstorming after reading your problem...

Circle any of the following you enjoy doing:
DRAWING SINGING BUILDING ACTING WRITING DANCING

If you have a free hour, check off what the top 3 things are that you would do:
__ play sports/exercise
__ watch tv
__ play video games
__ read
__ surf the internet
__ talk on the phone/online to friends
__ hang out with friends
__ shop
__ do things with family
__ other: ______________________________

What is your favourite:
- pet? __________________________________________________________________
- book? ________________________________________________________________
- video game? ___________________________________________________________
- sport to watch? _________________________________________________________
- physical activity to participate in? ___________________________________________

What musical instrument do you play? ________________________________________
What do you consider yourself an expert (or really good) in? ____________________________________
Have you ever taken music lessons outside of school? ____________________________

·
Banned
15 Posts
So I have a 6 year old sister. Our dad has anger issues so no questioning where she got her bad temper but a lot of times she starts hurting herself (by punching herself in the forehead and slapping herself) and says she wants to die or threatens to kill herself when she gets angry. Both my older sister and I are suicidal but I never said something like that in front of her or at all, my psychiatrist told my parents about me being suicidal so I never ever said anything about killing myself in my house at all. I'm not sure if my older sister said anything about killing herself in front of our little sister but she claims she never did. What should I do? What do I tell her? Should we take her to a professional to talk to as well?

Some other info:
~She plays this game called Roblox and people make music videos and stories with this thing on YouTube and she has watched bully stories and other sad stories since she likes the game, I think it might be from that a lot
~I think this started happening around the time my older sis and I started going to psychiatrists
~She has threatened to run away as well before and has packed bags when she has but was never able to get out the door because we stop her and convince her to stay
~She VERY RARELY gets punishments besides scolding and yelling when she has bad behavior (such as hitting someone or calling them a name)
~She is actually spoiled rotten. She gets to eat dinner where the computer is in my parents' room, which neither my sister and I got to do, she has her own tablet, my parents pay for episodes of one of her games and sometimes other games on the tablet when my older sis and I don't get to do that
~Today when I was just sitting next to her and gently rubbing her arm to comfort her and calm her down after she started getting mad at not winning some video game, she told me "I'm never going to like myself. I'm never going to believe in myself." After a few minutes earlier when I told her if she was going to get so frustrated with the game then she should stop playing for a little while and she told me she didn't like me so our dad scolded her and she (reluctantly) said she liked me then went on to say, "I don't have enough love to love myself because I put it all on you and Sophie (me)."
call police

1 - 7 of 7 Posts