Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, that is right - SIXTY BOXES! Is that unreal or what?

10 to the clothing bank attached to the food bank in a neighboring town.
1 to the used book store.
30 one charity picked up last week.
19 another charity is picking up tomorrow.

AND we had a garage sale where we sold a ton of stuff (made $650).
AND I took 25 items to consignment (half of it big stuff like Little Tikes coupe).

And we have gone through at least a dozen boxes of papers - 90% of which went to recycle or shred. You know the boxes of paper clutter that you put away when company is coming? They seem like stuff you need... but amazing how three years later (when they are found), you don't need much of it at all!

A lot of it was in our garage, and sadly our garage is still not empty... But we are making SUCH PROGRESS!!!!!!!
:

I am however very happy that I looked in the boxes before putting them out to donate - as I found things I forgot I had (but LOVE) like a video of our cousin reunion in 1985. I cannot WAIT to see that one!!!!!!!

· Premium Member
16,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
You know the boxes of paper clutter that you put away when company is coming? They seem like stuff you need... but amazing how three years later (when they are found), you don't need much of it at all!

So true!!

· Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know that feeling when you clean something (anything - the pantry or the junk drawer or your purse or anything) and you keep looking at it and feeling so GOOD that it is clean? I want that all over my house. In my garage. In my car. Everywhere. I really, really do.

Tonight, after three kids are in bed, I am tired and just wanted to sit on my couch watching TiVo. But the charity donation truck is scheduled for tomorrow, picking up anytime 7:00 a.m. or after. So out I go!

Before he left on his business trip, dp had already loaded ten boxes in the back of my SUV so I could take them to Goodwill. But I got a truck to come here for pick up!
So I just had to take them out of my truck and put them in the driveway. Right? Well.... of course I opened them to look at them, then started rearranging them so like things were more together. Why???? And making boxes of "give to so and so", "take to consignment", "keep for our next garage sale as it really is great stuff" and so on! And finally decided - with stuff ALL over my driveway - that it just should go. All of it. Out. Gone. Take my tax deduction and be happy that it is not cluttering up my space anymore.

And after I left my 19 boxes marked for donation in the driveway, I went through three boxes of papers as I watched old Sex and the City reruns on my TiVo. It is AMAZING how much you can get done when the kids are in bed!!
I kept a small box of special "this is what their drawings looked like" this year type stuff - but recycled SO much... For three weeks now, our garbage and recycling have been stuffed to overflowing with all this stuff I am getting out of here!
:

And I combined a few half full boxes of MIL's old paperwork for dp to go through later. And I put two perfectly good quilts/comforters in the donation box - as my kids have enough blankets to make ten forts each with chairs in my living room. We have one we take to the beach. How many does one family need??? Apparently two less than we did yesterday!

It kind of feeds on itself - this decluttering gig.

· Registered
593 Posts
yay! What a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself.

All the decluttering definitely feeds on itself. Our basement was the worst and now that it is done and I'm working on the garage, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought. But the more I get rid of, the more there seems to be to get rid of.

And I'm letting it go more easily than before.... because I just want it gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.