Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds has always been a hearty eater. Takes 6ozs from a bottle in the morning at the sitter, I stop and nurse him at lunch and takes 6 ozs more in the afternoon. We started solids a few weeks ago and eats them with as much enthusiasm as his bottles and still nurses fabulously. Until Monday. Out of the blue he wouldn't take his bottle in the morning or afternoon, but nursed fine when I came for lunch and through the evening. Same thing yesterday and again today. My poor sitter has tried everything, a cup, a baby syringe, and has resorted to spoon feeding him his milk. He will eat his solids fine which is why she tried spoon feeding the milk but he only has the patience for a few ounces. He's not fussy and doesn't seem upset about not eating but this is just an incredible turn around. I figure he might be teething but am worried about the amount of milk he is consuming. I have been nursing him as frequently as possible in the evening and we co-sleep at night so I nurse him on demand but still...I'm worried. Any thoughts or feedback??!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Have you tried giving your DS ebm from a cup, sippy or open? Our DS got to be an expert Avent sippy-cup user when with the sitter, and can almost use an open cup without dumping it...

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Maybe he just doesn't have the patience for the bottle because it takes too long, or maybe he doesn't like the nipple that's being used - is it a slow-flow? He might be ready for a faster flow.

Maybe he's just not as hungry now that he's getting solids? You could also try cutting back on solids, or mixing them with breastmilk.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. See if he'll take a sippy cup of ebm. Also, does she warm the EBM? DD only liked it cold (started daycare at 10 mos).

If he's hungry, he'll eat. Maybe he's getting enough at night and noon and doesn't want mamamilk without the mama attached anymore. I wouldn't worry too much, he won't starve himself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.