Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope no one minds me just stepping in and asking questions, I have just been lurking here during the last few weeks as I was afraid to start posting until I knew for sure that this pregnancy was developing. I had a miscarriage this past September and I am fearing a replay. I had my first ultrasound today at 7.5 weeks and we could see a gestational sac and a yolk sac but no embryo. This is also what happened last time and I was immediately sent to shedule a D & C. This time I am seeing a midwife instead of an OB and she wants to wait a week and check again. I am really not feeling optomistic. Could it be possible that it was just missed? Shouldn't we have seen the embryo and heartbeat for sure by this point? I am pretty sure of the dates. She did do a trans-vaginal scan. Has anyone had a positive outcome after something like this? My HCG levels are still good and as of last week still rising. I am just so lost and feeling devastated to possibly be going through this again!

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
Wait a week and get another u/s.

However, it's pretty unlikely that an embryo wouldn't show up by 7.5 weeks. I suppose a later than you realize ovulation combined with a late implantation is possible though.

In all my successful pregnancies the embryo showed up around 6ish weeks.

I should also note that for one of my miscarriages, my HCG levels were normal at 5-6 weeks, but when an embryo didn't show up on a repeated u/s (sac at 6 weeks, no change at 8 weeks) it was a blighted ovum. I had a D&C after four days of no bleeding.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
i hope your little bean is hiding in there. I'm so sorry for your doubt and worry!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have good news - I had the same thing happen at around 6wks - we waited a week and then no embryo so I had to have a D&C. However I did have a successfully pregnancy 3mths following the miscarriage. My thoughts are with you - I'm pregnant again right now but a little cagey about it until my first doctor's visit next week.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I agree - wait and see.

It is entirely possible that your dates are a little off, or that this embryo just hasn't read up on the approved schedule.

Thinking about worst-case scenarios, at this stage of pregnancy, a natural miscarriage (while tragic) is quite safe, and your midwife may prefer that scenario to a D&C (especially because she's right that early scans are often ambiguous). Among other things, the recovery time from a natural miscarriage is shorter, and it does not carry the D&C's risk of infection.

I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks this winter, and the days in between the first ambiguous scan and the start of the real bleeding were agonizing. The hardest part was not knowing whether to hope for things to be fine or just to hope for things to be over. This is a really awful place to be, mama. I am so sorry that you're there.

The rising HCG level is a good, good sign though, so I want to tell you to hand in there and hope for the best.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody. Amylcd, you give me a little hope. MeepyCat, you are so right about not knowing whether to hope for it to be over or hope that something was just missed and everything's okay. I don't want to keep setting myself up for disappointment. My brain just can't handle it. I will wait and get the second scan. The midwife ordered a second round of quantative tests. I really would rather not do a D&C if it comes down to having to make a decision. I had one last time and I am afraid of having scarring that will further complicated my chances of every having a baby. I was seeing a traditional OB last time and I was not even allowed to discuss letting things happen naturally. They had me convinced that if I didn't immediately get a D& C I would bleed to death. I am glad I am so much more informed this time and am seeing a midwife, the care is so much more personal and sensitive this time. Thanks again everybody for your thoughts.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hoping for the best outcome for you.

You might have ovulated later and that is why your little one is not yet visible.

Dealing with MC's is very tough. I too had a D&C with my first MC becasue my OB said it was preferable than bleeding to death over the New Year's holiday. With my 2nd MC, it was early on and it happened naturally.

Keep us updated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.