Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I was relieved by another poster talking about baby's shivers and then many reassuring voices talking about the "pee shivers." My ped had talked about consulting a neurologist.
Then it seemed to stop or become very rare for several months.
Just this week DD started doing a similar thing and yesterday she did it tons-sometimes several times a minute then today not so much.
Its like when an adult shakes their head back and forth to say no except its involuntary and sometimes its a bit different-kind of jerky.
It doesnt seem to bother her or affect her. Its bigger than th shiver so I figured it wasnt pee related but I did check her dipe once right after it had been changed and she jerked and it was wet.
I am going back and forth from freaking out to thinking maybe its ok.
Could this be a bigger pee shiver?
Have any of your babes done this?
If we need to get doctors involved of course I will, I just want to protect her from another experience of pain and fear like when she was born and there were lots of interventions for a week in the hospital.
Can 't wait to hear from you all-thank you!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I notice my nearly 9 month old doing this when he pees (he often doesn't have a diaper on so I know for sure when he does). I don't notice him doing it at other times.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Is it involuntary as in when you try to hold her head still it doesn't stop the jerking? My daughter at that age shook her head no all the time, just because she liked the feel of it -- i think it made her dizzy and she liked it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
erinz- so its not just a pee shiver, its a pee shake? Goods news! I'll keep checking those dipes!

Birthangeldoula- I haven't tried to hold her still-I will do this next time. I really dont think its so strong that I couldnt stop it. Her hands wave about without coordination too but this seems on purpose while the head thing does not. She just was doing a head thing and I could stop it with my hand with very little effort.

Also, she is relatively unvaxed- just 1 rotovirus. I had a flu shot with mercury in my 1st trimester that continues to haunt me as well as a shot when she was tiny and I was (still am) breastfeeding-this stuff worries me since mercury is a neurotoxin-but still hoping its just the pee.

Just stopped another one with my hand no problem.

·
Registered
844 Posts
My DS (almost 9 months) does something very similar. It does worry me a bit, more so DH, but we can stop it if we distract him or put our hand there and he only seems to do it when sitting or standing (with support), not on stomach or anything. And it seems worse when he's very tired. For now just keeping an eye on things...

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not quite sure what a "pee-shiver" is but it shouldn't happen several times a minute - it may be a partial seizure - my suggestion is get it on video on your digital camera - several examples and run in by your ped. There is no harm in getting this evaluated.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I am almost POSITIVE that when babies hit 7 months, they are going through some kind of weird neurological stage, because BOTH of my kids did weird jerks/shakes/shivers. In fact, here are my old threads about this:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=shivers

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...782&highlight=

I think I ended up taking both to the doctor for it because I was freaked, and they just told me it was developmental.

If she doesn't outgrow it in a few months, take her in, but otherwise don't worry!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I only asked about the head thing because I asked my ped about it too when DD was doing it. She told me that if you could stop the action by holding her head then it's not neurological. My daughter used to do an arm jerk too that looked entirely too freaky, but I could stop that action too. We chalked it up to an immature nervous system. She is now almost a year old and doesn't do any of those wierd motions anymore.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My computer died on me before I could thank y'all yesterday. Your helpful information and BTDT experience is so relieving and appreciated. Its so hard figuring out all these funky things that happen along the way with a babe and MDC and you awesome mamas help keep me sane! She barely did this at all yesterday and none-so far- today. The info about if I could hold her head it wasn't a seizure gave me instant relief!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My DD started doing this at 6.5 months, except she looks like she is nodding yes. Freaked me out at first and of course I googled it and read all sorts of scary things. I did tape it and showed her ped, who said it looked normal and that if I can stop it by holding her, then it was nothing to worry about. She did it a lot for a few weeks, but now at 8 months only does it occasionally. She did start pulling up, standing on her own and start taing steps in since these started and now that I look at her doing the occasional nod, it looks almost like she's trying to get her balance to stand from sitting or to pull up without anything to hold on to, if that makes sense.

Hugs mama!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
My little one started doing this a day or 2 before this thread was started. I can't tell if it's because he is frustrated or if its entirely involuntary. He has done this about 15 times today and it seems it only happens when he is not getting his way. He lifts his fist near head level and then shakes his arm/fist and his face in very fast, short jerky movements. Almost like a seizure. Since it happened so many times today I looked up this thread. I am going to see if I can stop it by grabbing his head or arms next time and look at those links Amila posted. This is a little scary, but some of the responses here are making me feel better.

Hugs mamas.

Oh, he's 8.5 mos old and no vaxes here either. He's BF and I introduced solids at 7 months.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by birthangeldoula View Post
I only asked about the head thing because I asked my ped about it too when DD was doing it. She told me that if you could stop the action by holding her head then it's not neurological. My daughter used to do an arm jerk too that looked entirely too freaky, but I could stop that action too. We chalked it up to an immature nervous system. She is now almost a year old and doesn't do any of those wierd motions anymore.
Out of curiousity, did your LO do the head shaking with the arm jerk at the same time?

It seems like I can stop it if I grab his head. Or they are too short? Although he seemed to have stopped doing the arm thing at the same time. My LO grimaces and moves his mouth/jaw to the right when this happens. It seems that he does it more often when he is tired.

Any thoughts? TIA!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OurGift View Post
Out of curiousity, did your LO do the head shaking with the arm jerk at the same time?

It seems like I can stop it if I grab his head. Or they are too short? Although he seemed to have stopped doing the arm thing at the same time. My LO grimaces and moves his mouth/jaw to the right when this happens. It seems that he does it more often when he is tired.

Any thoughts? TIA!
She would either do the arm thing, or the head thing.. not necessarily at the same time.. at least I don't remember it being that way. I think we ended up chalking it up to an immature nervous system and now that she's 11 months old she doesn't do it anymore.
If I held her arm or her head it stopped the motion from happening which my ped said means it's not a seizure..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by birthangeldoula View Post
She would either do the arm thing, or the head thing.. not necessarily at the same time.. at least I don't remember it being that way. I think we ended up chalking it up to an immature nervous system and now that she's 11 months old she doesn't do it anymore.
If I held her arm or her head it stopped the motion from happening which my ped said means it's not a seizure..
Thanks so much. It seems that these episodes have become milder and less, although they are still there. They still seem to be happening/there's a pattern when he's frustrated, like if I have to take something from him and other times are random.

We have a doctor's appointment scheduled for tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happened. That's if we are dealing well with what the doctor has to say, I guess.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have to get an EEG done on him and go from there with the results. I will come back and post when we know more if it will help someone else who's LO starts these actions...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My LO does something where she looks like she gets chills. She does it off and on. It doesn't look like the seizures in infants that I saw on Youtube, more like a chill. Still it makes me wonder if she will need an EEG as well. I hope not.

·
Registered
223 Posts
thanks gracemama! I am glad to know that your LO's has seemed to resolved itself.

mkksmom: the youtube video that looks most similar to what my LO is doing (it has now morphed into something that includes head shaking, opening mouth or grimacing and moving his jaw to the side) is on this video
, although much less frequently. Yesterday I only saw 2 and today so far I saw one and DH saw one separately. I also remember haven't been able to find much more info on "intention tremors" in infants. I did bring up the video and the labeling to the dr, but he really wanted to get the EEG done before making any guesses.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
My daughter has been doing this lately to, at just turned 9 months. She also had some weird leaning sideways and backwards episodes from 6-8 months that FREAKED us out. She actually got a CT scan & an EEG because of it, but all was normal and she is fine now. The head shaking is really strange...it does almost seem involuntary. The doctor said if we can make a loud noise (ie, clap, etc) and she stops, then she is okay.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Now you all have me a bit worried. I posted about DS the other day that he keeps shaking his head at really weird times, sitting in his highchair in the middle of dinner, bedtime, and just randomly through the day.

This video is of a little baby I founf on youtube that is doing almost exactly was DS is doing, though he does it a bit less in a single sitting.

He has a WBV this week, so I'm going to try to catch it on video and bring it in to them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.