Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to share what they do with their 7 month old (or around same age) here's what we do, maybe we could trade ideas for those monotonous winter days!

-airplane with baby's belly on my shins.
-dancing around the room to music.
-lots of tummy time with toys, he just started scooting!
-speaking of scooting, he chases this toy dog that moves two feet or so...
-read books, most of which he just puts in his mouth

-little piggy toe game
-tickle time
-stack two pillows on top of one another on floor, then play peek a boo and trying to get him to crawl over them!

just regular stuff it seems, let me know of fun games for baby if you have any!

·
Registered
265 Posts
physical comedy using my own body as a prop! ex: last night, when I was out of ideas at 5:30 and dh was stilll not home, I sat dd on our bed and flung myself down beside her. She laughed. I flung myself onto the bed again, more dramatically. Hysterical! Apparently, mommy collapsing in a tired heap is a great gag.

also, I can entertain her for awhile by dragging a sheer silk scarf over her face. she catches her breath and giggles every time!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grivas View Post

also, I can entertain her for awhile by dragging a sheer silk scarf over her face. she catches her breath and giggles every time!
DS catches his breath when i drag a cloth over his face too! He has learned how to pull the cloth down when playing peek a boo and thinks it's a stitch.

New thing is clacking two objects together

Horsey - sit him on the knees and bounce up and down while singing then open my knees a bit so he sinks in between them (obviously I'm holding on to him).

Wrestle mania - I lay on my back on the floor and lay him on top of me then hold him in a bear hug and roll from side to side

work on crawling/scooting but he gets frustrated pretty quickly which quickly turns to tears
poor guy wants to go but can't quite get it together yet!

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Peek-a-boo - he sits on the bed, I crouch down on the floor then pop up, I get lots of giggles!

I got him one of those Christmas cookie tins at the dollar store and put some pencils and keys inside - he loves picking it up and shaking it, and banging on it with his blocks.

He loves playing "swords", we each hold a toy and bang them together.

I'll also sit him on the futon, and hide stuff under the comforter. He goes searching for it and giggles when he finds it!

·
Registered
148 Posts
OOOOH! FUN THREAD!

Ok. Ethan LOVES to sit in his high chair and bang things on the tray. Its the most fun for him when we sit near him and comment on the banging and make really dramatic faces in response.

He loves having his tummy zerberted.

He really enjoys when my husband makes a tongue cluck/click. It sends him into hysterics.

Tummy time is becoming popular. I put him on his tummy and then lay on my tummy in front of him and encourage him to come toward me.

I have just started doing the Itsy Bitsy Spider with him and doing like, a spider crawling up his tummy and landing on his nose, (my fingers) and then I do the raindrops on his tummy by drumming my fingers lightly, and then I do a big dramatic sun popping up with my hand, and then start over. He loves it.

He loves board books.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great thread!

DS loves the tickle game too! He has also just discovered some blocks we have from Grandma...they are foamy and cloth covered...I stack them and he reaches out to knock them down. He thinks this is HILARIOUS and I think he is proud of his accomplishment when he does it...lots of times he waits for my reaction to laugh-- as if HE'S the one playing with MOMMY!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i've been trying to get more yoga back into my life, so i use the baby as a yoga prop
lift her over my head, stretch to her, hold her while i balance in tree pose, etc. then we do a little yoga for her - i stretch her arms and legs, help her to do some twists, do 'this little piggy' and a little infant massage. all of my kids have loved this when they were babies and it's a relaly nice way to spend time together. lots of great suggestions in the book Baby Om, in case anyone is looking for a book

she thinks her brother and sister are waaaay more hilarious than me, so they are always doing funny things to try and get her to laugh.
and we play "i'm going to get you" with her brother and sister, where i put the baby in front of me (in arms) and say "i'm going to get you Solomon" or "i'm going to get you River" and then rush her towards her brother or sister. they all think that's a hoot

and i'm the queen of making up songs. so i'm always singing silly songs which she loves - in fact, it's the best way to calm her down if she gets upset in the car.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
and i'm the queen of making up songs. so i'm always singing silly songs which she loves - in fact, it's the best way to calm her down if she gets upset in the car.

yes, me too! I'll make up a song about anything in front of me, and singing in the car is a must. DH is a musician and I was always a little shy about singing in front of him, but no more. Every family car ride becomes a family sing along. Baby loves songs, music, and almost any rhythmic sound. She bobs and sways back in forth to every sound from a familiar song to the pounding of footsteps on the stairs!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great thread!

Peek-a-boo: we put a cloth over his face and say, "Baby, where are you? You were just here a minute ago! Where did you go???" for the minute it takes him to bat it off his face. He's very proud when it's off and we say "THERE you are!!"

On a soft surface, like a bed, we do standing by letting him grab our fingers then pulling him up. We actually started this game at 5 months or so when a friend told me they played it. Sometimes we vary it and let him flop backwards on the bed-- very funny! Also I'll have him dance while he's in standing position while I sing a song.

Definitely anything with the dog. Fetch, if it's warm enough out side. If not, we'll get her to do her tricks (she knows a lot), but apparently it's even funnier if she's not listening and doesn't want to do them.

A basket of toys (like the treasure basket, but mostly all toys, but with some other odds and ends from the house he's adopted). We sit at the table or computer desk, I hand him one toy at a time. He drops it on the floor when he's done, and then I hand him a new toy.

Now that it's Christmastime, the tree and presents make for unending fun to look at and bat at.

I recently received some helium balloons for my birthday. It's supervised play only of course, but he loves to pull on the ribbon and yank the balloon, play with the balloon itself and try to stuff it in his mouth, and even play with the plastic clip attached to the ribbon to weight it down.

Empty paper shopping bags are also fun for him, if I put one on the floor next to him. They make noise and have handles to grab.

·
Registered
97 Posts
: Its cold outside! We need some more ideas for indoors physical play.

We play "row, row your boat" where I hold my babe's hands and help her pivot on her butt from lying on her back to a forward-leaning sit. Any other ideas for action songs?

·
Registered
177 Posts
So many of these apply to my daughter.

She loves Peek-a-Boo.
Patty-cake is a huge hit.
She loves clapping and when you make clicking noises with your mouth - I like to vary the pitch and she'll just giggle.
Any kind of funny or unusual noise will make her laugh
Tickling - or almost tickling (she see my hand coming and then I stop right before it gets to her belly and she just laughs and laughs)
She loves when we brush our teeth
The phone is fun - my husband will pull it out and pretend to talk just to see her smile and giggle
She's really into standing and trying to walk lately - not by herself yet, but she really enjoys practicing. Actually, right now, that's pretty much the only thing she wants to do for any length of time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fun fun thread!

On top of a lot that are posted, we also like to play 'fold the laundry'. I lay DS on his back on the bed and 'dump' the clean clothes, from the dryer, on top of him. Then, fold them, drop socks on him, throw socks up in the air and let them land back on him, sit him up, fold socks and toss them in the air and see where they land, let him sit around all the unfolded clothes while you fold them, sing silly songs, throw his shirts over his face/head and when he pulls it off, smiling, go 'peep-o' or similar silly fun sound. Sure, you may end up folding and re-folding items once or twice - or three or four times, but it's fun and you get a chore done at the same time!

Now, I'm off to try some of the suggestions!
:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.