Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple of weeks, my 7 month old has been fussing at the breast. She'll eat for a couple of minutes but then start to squirm around like she's uncomfortable. Sometimes I take her off and try to burp her. Sometimes I get a burp, sometimes she cries.

She is also very gassy, so much so that she wakes herself up. And, if I nurse her in the middle of the night, it seems to make the problem worse and she has trouble going back to sleep.

I *AM* dairy free. Could some other food I'm eating be causing this? My pediarician was no help. Is there another kind of doctor I could consult about this issue? I'm kind of at my witts end and my pooor baby is not getting good sleep.

We are doing some solids (prunes & apricots) but the gassiness started before the started the solids.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
OK, I didn't realize when I wrote my other post that you are dairy free!

She could have silent reflux. Reflux babies often have poor weight gain because eating is painful so they don't do it as much. Zantac is very safe for babies - you could get your doc to write a script for it and try it out, if it doesn't work, no harm no foul.

Have you had yeast/thrush problems? She could have a yeast overgrowth in her GI tract. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start her on a good baby probiotic several times a day. Again, it can't hurt whether or not she has yeast.

Have you tried an elimination diet for other food sensitivities? Dairy, soy, wheat, and citrus are the top four, I believe.

I hope you find some answers!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I saw you'd mentioned you were dairy-free....is this for you or your baby? My oldest had big problems w/all forms of cow. If you've not seen this site, it was helpful for me to realize all the forms of dairy that are lurking---

http://www.kjsl.net/~beanmom/nomilk.html

I also agree that yeast can be a source of gassy/fussy behavior. You might look into that as well. Have you stopped the solids to see if there's improvement??? You could consult a chiropractor, naturopath or craniosacral practitioner---many have found both these modalities helpful!

Best wishes,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.