Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My first time posting here! My son is almost 7 months old and he had the worst colic, but we survived! He still has stomach issues-gas and constipation. It keeps him up at night, and miserable during the day too. He hates lying down and hates sitting-so that leaves me holding him in the carrier. Which I've enjoyed, but now he's almost 20lbs so he's heavy after a while!
I thought he'd be past it by now, and we just started some solids too-in addition to breastfeeding. He has never had a hard stool, he just seems to have trouble bearing down. The doctor recommended giving him corn syrup, but I'm not too into giving him that.
I hope his little body gets it soon. Anyone have any other recommendations or experience with this? I want him to feel better!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
First of all... Welcome!

My DD gets constipated too. (she's 12 months now) I don't give her bananas since they tend to be constipating. Also, dairy is a trigger for her. We give her lots of pears (as well as tons of other fruits and veg) which seems to help. lots of nursing and water with her meals/snacks as well. I often add flax seed or oil to her foods too.

I'm still figuring it out and am wondering if I should take gluten out as well...

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my 8 mo old son was very colicky too and also became constipated when starting on solids at 6 mo. his stools weren't hard, he just has a difficult time passing them, and lots of gas. if i had it to do over, i'd probably wait longer to start him on solids, but once we started, he really loved it and i found it hard to back off. not sure what you are doing for solids: finger foods, purees, cereals? i found that staying away from rice and switching to oatmeal (made with plenty of water, or breastmilk if you have extra) helped a lot. but the best thing has been prunes (puree). he loves his prunes and it really helped the transition. he still has a little trouble now and then, and so i just give him more prunes. i don't ever give him anything with added sugar, the corn syrup recommendation sounds ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My DD has this problem too, since starting solids. I have found it helpful to sit her on a potty. When I hear her grunt or see her trying to bear down I whip her nappy off and sit her on the potty, sitting behind her for a bit of support, holding a book or toy in front of her to distract her. The squatting position seems to make it easier for her (although we still get quite a bit of fuss as it comes out sometimes)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.