Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I posted this at the LLL forum but noone has reponded yet, so I thought I'd try here and see if anyone has any thoughts:

My concern: My DS now 7 weeks, has slowly reduced the length of his nursing sessions and the frequency throughout the day. He used to feed 5-10 minutes up to 20, almost every hour. He only wakes to feed 2x nightly now and for what seems like a short time. And during the day its tapered off to maybe evry 2 hour for 5 minutes sometimes 10.

He also has had one green poo every day or every couple of days. No green poo today though.

To further characterise our feedings: We have introduced one bottle of Expressed milk to feed him at one feeding, same time every day. He is fed this by DH, not me ever. We started this about a week or so ago. At this one particular feed as he cries and refuses the breast, pops on and off. scratches and generally I become anxious etc., he is much happier now, and DH gets to experience a feeding with him. He's done the unhappy feed since his first week, same time every day and we seem to be eliminating the unhappiness now that the bottle feed has started.
Anywho,

He was born 6lb 8ozs Sept 13th. He was weighed at 10lbs 2ozs on Tuesday at his week 6 appointment.

Should I be concerned about his decrease in feeding?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I'm sure more knowledgable moms will join in but, I know that the green poop can mean that baby is getting too much foremilk in relation to hindmilk. You could look on kellymom.com for recommendations to remedy that.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
He's gained a lot! Mine never did that much!

I think it could be a couple of different things. 1) He just doesn't need as much as he first was... just did lots of growing. 2) He needs to spend longer on one breast to get the hindmilk and then switch if he wants more.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Do you feed one breast per nursing session or switch sides during?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!
I do usually one feed from one breast at a time. I offer him the other within a feed if he **** hungry and not taking anymore from the one I am feeding on. I feed im on whatever breast hasn't been nursed last on, unless it was a really short feed.
I feel the green pooing has increased, since he's taking such shorter feeds! I wish I could keep him on longer...

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I think that sometimes the green poops mean he's not getting enough hindmilk. (Though for us, green poops meant the yellow poop had oxidized in the diaper b/c I couldn't change it fast enough.)

Since you are usually only doing one breast per milky-meal (I just can't use the word "feeding" for humans), and you're switching every meal, and he's nursing so fast, well, there might be a very easy solution.

Use the same breast two milky-meals in a row. There's a term for it, but I can't remember it. But we did it, and it increased the hindmilk he was getting, and made him VERY happy.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I agree with mollyeilis do the same breast 2 or 3 times in a row then switch that should help if he is not getting enough hind milk per nursing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.