Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And cause for a blood sugar draw?!?!?! Seriously?!?!?!?
:

I feel like our induction-happy culture is to blame for this.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm working as a waitress to get through school right now and I work with a young lady who was 3 days "over due" when she worked today and her doctors aren't even giving her 2 whole weeks. They told her they'd be inducing on the 1st if she didn't go into labor before then. It kills me. She asks me for advice but is also getting a million other "well I induced so I wouldn't miss finals" and "my c-section was so easy" opinions from most of the other women who work there. Agh. I want to scream and I haven't even really begun.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
My understanding is that anything over 8lb13oz (or 4000g) is LGA. Was this based upon ultrasound or was this actual birthweight?? Are you talking about the baby's blood sugar??

My DD was estimated to be 9lb10oz (4300g) at a 40 week U/S and I was coerced into a scheduled c-section for it (by my CNM and the OB)
: SHe was born at 9lb8.5oz.
I also allowed them to draw blood to test her blood sugars. They were absolutely perfect (we nursed, nursed, nursed like crazy). I would refuse it (since it might give them a reason to try to force supplementation). Next time I will know better (about both the c-section, and the blood sugars).

Not a BP here, but your post caught my eye.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
That is really silly. Macrosomia is thought to be over 4000 grams, which is 8lb 13oz. I still don't consider that a real huge baby!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I find this so frustrating both as a mother and a new midwife. I had two babies vaginally who were over 9lbs and I am 5'2" tall. I have also delivered babies that were 10 and 11 lbs and did great. Plus ultrasounds aren't always that accurate. I believe (and I could be wrong) but the 4000g figure comes from ACOG.

Doctors seem to worry about big babies getting stuck. In my short experience (backed up by my preceptor's long experience) it's the small babies that seem to cause more problems in labor.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, this was the baby's actual size at birth, from a birth I just attended. Mom wasn't even quite 40w and they insisted on getting a heel stick.

This hospital has some really incredible CYA policies, it really never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
My guy was 7lbs 12oz at 37w3d and they wanted to do a blood draw. I told them that i would keep an eye out for anything unusual and let them know if i wanted to do a blood draw

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
This hospital has some really incredible CYA policies, it really never ceases to amaze me.
But, honestly, this is standard at MOST hospitals. All 3 hospitals in my area, at least.

It is not at all an evidence-based practice.....just a fear-filled routine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.