Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get help for a friend. Her daughter has recently stopped eating. Some background - this girl is a little on the hefty side, but usually very active, loves to eat lots of different kinds of foods. In the last 7 weeks she had both walking pneumonia and later strep throat. She also got her first round of braces off. She's missed a lot of school because of illness and also a week school break.

She has never made comments about her weight or body image, although her mother recently lost a lot of weight on a diet and it is sort of an ongoing topic at their home - they try to keep the focus on health and not body image.

She says nothing hurts right now and doesn't know why she can't eat. They've tried all her favorite foods. She's hardly even drinking water.

She said she doesn't know what's going on but she feels sad. Last week she said she thinks she is depressed.
Her parents are kind of freaking out and have maybe given it a bit too much attention but they're trying to back off a bit.

I don't have much experience with eating disorders. We're thinking that maybe she is still recovering from her illnesses and just doesn't feel well. Or maybe she is getting the cold shoulder from kids at school since she has missed so much - she doesn't really have any best friend at school. Doing this for attention? For control? Or just doesn't feel good still??

any thoughts? resources?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaye View Post
She said she doesn't know what's going on but she feels sad. Last week she said she thinks she is depressed.
Her parents are kind of freaking out and have maybe given it a bit too much attention but they're trying to back off a bit.
I would take her at her word and get her evaluated for depression. Lack of appetite may be one symptom of depression, and depression is entirely possible (unfortunately) in a child of this age. I would also keep an eye on her physical health and make sure that all is ok after her recent illnesses.

I hope your friends find an answer for their daughter soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.