Mothering Forum banner

8 days old with my constant nurser

665 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  brietta 
#1 ·
This is my first baby, so I don't know what is "normal" ...

My baby boy really loves to nurse and that is a good thing. I know. Three days after we were released from the hospital at the pediatrician visit we found out that he had already gained 3 oz. I am nursing on demand and co-sleeping, but frankly am getting really tired and sore. DS basically wants to nurse all the time that he is not sleeping, and nurses for very long bouts (20+ minutes on each side). Last night, I probably only slept 2 hours, because he was restless and nursed throughout most of the night. Is this normal? Will it ever get any easier? Do you have any advice? I am starting to go a little crazy inside.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup, this is totally normal and this won't last forever. There's a 1 week growth spurt and then a 10 day growth spurt and then a little break before the 3 week growth spurt.

He'll get bigger and more efficient at nursing, and start having "playtime" between nursing sessions- but not yet. At this age, it's perfectly normal for them to spend all their "awake" time at the breast (and even some of their sleeping time too!)

If you can nurse lying down, it really helps with getting enough rest when baby nurses so much. I know I personally was never able to nurse lying down until my babies were 3mo or so and gained head control- I was sitting up in bed nursing in those early weeks. So if you haven't yet mastered the art of lying down nursing, don't despair.

It's normal to feel tired and sore and overwhelmed a week after giving birth. Your hormones are still all over the place and it's hard getting enough sleep with a newborn. Go easy on yourself.

#4 ·
Perfectly normal! I have 3 little ones and am expecting number 4 in December. All 3 have gone through periods where it seemed like they would never stop nursing. It does get better and easier. I always tried to find nursing positions where I could rest or recline while nursing so I could at least relax if I wasn't able to get all the way to sleep.

#5 ·
I was just responding to a similar post in LWAB and my babe deleted what I had typed. (I don't even know what key she pushed that caused that!) Anyway, it is totally normal! For some reason it seems to be a little-known fact. I certainly had no idea. I was starting to think something was wrong with my baby! I found out on a website- hadn't found this one yet- that it is normal! They do start to nurse less frequently (and move on to things like playing with your laptop) and when the frequency of nursing first diminishes, it's kind of strange! This is a good time to catch up on your reading!

I think I was also expecting something like every two hours. Or even less frequently, perhaps! It really does come as a surprise when they are nursing more frequently than once an hour, and for a long time, too.

It is a special time, though, as everyone says.
Congratulations on your little one!!

#6 ·
Chances are good it's totally normal, but here's the checklist to make sure it's not a hungry baby thing. (I had one of those, and wish I'd paid more attention to part of the last category: "baby seems reasonably content.")

From kellymom: Is my baby getting enough milk?

WEIGHT GAIN:
If baby is gaining well on mom's milk alone, then baby is getting enough. A 5-7% weight loss during the first 3-4 days after birth is normal. Baby should regain birth weight by 2 weeks. Once mom's milk comes in, average weight gain is 6 oz/week. If these goals are not met, call your lactation consultant.

WET DIAPERS: 5 - 6+ sopping wet diapers per day (after 1st week).
Expect one wet diaper on day one, increasing to 5-6 by one week. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper (if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper may be less). Urine should be pale and mild smelling.

DIRTY DIAPERS: 3 - 4+ dirty diapers per day (after day 4).
Stools should be yellow (no meconium) by day 5 and the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is usually yellow and is loose (soft to watery, may be seedy or curdy).

OTHER POSITIVE SIGNS: After a feeding, mom's breast feels softer and baby seems reasonably content. Baby is alert, active and meeting developmental milestones.

HTH!

#7 ·
Totally normal! My first, especially, did that. He LOVED nursing.
But it got better as he got older. He did gradually get more efficient with nursing so that it didn't take 40+ minutes to feed him, though he was never "quick" like some of my others (my 2nd would nurse for 10 minutes max and be all set-- she was so efficient!).

I know it feels really exhausting right now. Try your best to find comfortable ways to enjoy your time nursing. Love on your baby, read books, use a laptop computer (if you have one), take a nap, watch a favorite TV show-- whatever helps you relax and just enjoy your days. Yes, you will be less productive in other areas while you just cater to your baby, but this season with him will be over before you know it, really.

Hang in there! It sounds like you are doing a great job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.