Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure everything is fine, but this is very mysterious: For the past few days my 8 mo. old is barely peeing at all. He nurses well, takes solids 1-3x per day, is alert, healthy in every way. But it is starting to concern me that many hours can go by and he'll have a dry diaper. I go to change him at the normal interval, only to find a dry diaper!

Yesterday, he had a good nursing when he woke up around 8am, had a 6 oz bottle w/ the baby sitter, and when I got him at noon he was completely dry! Same thing today- good wake up nursing, then nursed throughout the morning, and I go to change him before nap and dry as a bone.

If he were acting listless or showing signs of illness I'd be scared, but he appears to be totally fine. It is very hot here, but he doesn't spend lots of time outside sweating, he is usually inside the air conditioned house or I take him out in the morning or evening when it's cooler.

I've been nursing him more than on demand- offering it much more frequently to give him more fluids. It doesn't seem like it should be necessary to give him bottles of water, but I'm starting to think I should do it just to be safe- WDYT? Do they save it up and pee larger amounts all at one time when they get older, rather than smaller amounts more frequently?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Maybe you want to come check out the EC forum! *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

Seriously though, my 8 mo diaper-free babe can hold his pee for hours and stay dry up to 12 hours at night. There was a post in the EC forum about wondering if that length of time is safe for their little bladders- but there were lots of replies back suggesting it is completely normal!

ETA: when he does pee does he express any discomfort? If so you may want to look into a UTI, but if he's happy with his new pattern, and you're getting enough fluids into him, then I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eirual
Seriously though, my 8 mo diaper-free babe can hold his pee for hours and stay dry up to 12 hours at night. There was a post in the EC forum about wondering if that length of time is safe for their little bladders- but there were lots of replies back suggesting it is completely normal!

ETA: when he does pee does he express any discomfort? If so you may want to look into a UTI, but if he's happy with his new pattern, and you're getting enough fluids into him, then I wouldn't worry.
Thanks for the responses- I'm glad to hear your baby can hold it for a while, maybe it isn't so strange. Nope, he doesn't express any discomfort, no fever or any other signs of illness. I think I will just keep encouraging nursing beyond the usual amount. He's going into the ped on Fri. so I"ll ask about it then if he otherwise seems fine.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I tried to start a thread about this exact same thing last week, but no one replied. (THANKS, EVERYONE
) My DS is almost 10 mos. and for four or five days, he hardly peed. Like you, I tried nursing him more, and kept him inside with the a/c when it was too hot out, but it didn't seem to make a difference. And he was acting totally normal. After a few days, he suddenly started peeing normally again.
I wouldn't worry about it unless your DC seems sick or if this goes on very much longer. HTH!

·
Registered
815 Posts
This has been going on with my 10 month old for at least 2 months. For us, I think it is a combo heat/age thing. DS is holding it longer, which is normal at this age, and I think at 8 months too, but then his volume is down overall.

When your babe does pee, is it stong-smelling? For us, that was the biggest clue that more fluids were in order. We spend a lot of time outside, which is just sort of our lifestyle, not really an option, so I started offering water many times a day, in addition to nursing on demand. DS takes only a couple sips at a time. This works for us, and pees are back on track.

Does your DS do a lot of comfort nursing? Mine does not, and I think that if he did, we would have less of an issue.

I would talk to your doc if your instincts tell you something mroe is wrong. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantesmama
I tried to start a thread about this exact same thing last week, but no one replied. (THANKS, EVERYONE
) My DS is almost 10 mos. and for four or five days, he hardly peed. Like you, I tried nursing him more, and kept him inside with the a/c when it was too hot out, but it didn't seem to make a difference. And he was acting totally normal. After a few days, he suddenly started peeing normally again.
I wouldn't worry about it unless your DC seems sick or if this goes on very much longer. HTH!
Thanks everyone- I'm glad to hear of other people's experiences (although of course not glad that it's happened to your babies also!) it does help to know that your babies ended up fine.

I'm going to go now and nurse him in his sleep to get more fluid in. And I put a tissue in his diaper so I could really detect if it was wet! I am going to call the dr tomorrow if it keeps up (and of course he already has an appt the day after tomorrow!).

I thought about giving him water, b ut it makes more sense to nurse more, b/c then he'll get nutrition also and I don't want water to displace milk if there really is something wrong.

No, I wouldn't say he comfort nurses a lot, definitely more for food, but I'm offering it a lot, before I think he'd normally be hungry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts