Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is a different problem...my 8mo old DD won't nurse to sleep, and I really want her to because I don't know any other way! I need some help here. She's DD2, and you'd think I would have figured it out by now but she's so different from DD1, who would ONLY nurse to sleep.

So anyway, it seems like nursing to sleep is the easiest way to get her down, which is why I'm annoyed that she won't. What do I do now? Let her fuss in her not-used crib until she magically rolls over and goes to sleep? How do I even do that? The later we let her stay up, the more crazy she gets. I guess I don't know how to get her to wind down, and nursing sure doesn't do it. Argh!

Right now, she'll nurse and nurse and nurse and not fall asleep. Eventually, after and hour or more of trying to get her down (including giving up and just letting her crawl around), she'll rub her eyes and get really cranky and crazy, and bouncing really hard on the bouncy ball seems to be the only way to make her pass out. I don't like this way. I need some better ideas, please!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
she sounds like my boys at that age. i believe (at least for my boys) it's a developmental stage. they're learning SO MUCH that they don't want to sleep and miss something! I promise, in a few more months, it'll get back 'to normal'.

I just go with the flow and try to get the wee one down a bit earlier - sometimes that helps. mostly it doesn't though and i just 'give up' and let the little one crawl/pull up/attempt to walk/jump/whatever it is while i am doing household 'stuff' on the main level with him. when he starts sending out the 'i'm tired' vibe - you know what i mean? then i bring him upstairs and nurse him to sleep.

((hugs))

just thought too - could be the little one is teething. just take a peek and see if that's part of the 'problem'. that's easily remedied with some herbal thing - whatever your preference. (I like hyland tablets or teething gel - usually whichever i can find fastest, lol.)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she's definitely teething (3rd and 4th tooth broke through in the last week) and she's definitely active - started to cruise this past week, i can't believe it! i know these developmental stages can cause sleep disturbance, but it does seem like she's always going through something. yar, babies!

i'm just concerned that the very active bouncing/rocking to sleep is bad for her brain or something. i'm not shaking her like shaken baby syndrome hard, but it is pretty vigorous. it's the only way to knock her out. i've had to nurse her while walking for her whole life, expect when she's already asleep, then i can feed her side lying.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
she sounds like my boys at that age. i believe (at least for my boys) it's a developmental stage. they're learning SO MUCH that they don't want to sleep and miss something! I promise, in a few more months, it'll get back 'to normal'.
I agree, it happened with both of my boys. And my 3 1/2 year old nurses to sleep nearly every night now (it is the EASIEST way to get him to sleep--otherwise he is in perpetual motion until he passes out from fatigue...)

I will say that my youngest has always had a window of sleep opportunity. If he gets overtired, he'll nurse for an hour straight and not fall asleep, to the point where I"m about to crawl out of my skin. See if you can get her into bed earlier. Does she nap?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Will she go to sleep in a carrier? For the longest time dd would only go to sleep if I wore her. Sometimes I could stay inside and walk around and sometimes I had to go outside so she was distracted enough to not get upset or be bored. It often took at least 45 minutes too, which was really annoying. Eventually I started reading while I walked around. For dd this started at 3 months and finally at about 18 months she started to nurse to sleep again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We went through that when DD was teething, it lasted almost a month. We started strapping her into the carrier and heading out for a walk after I'd nursed her and she'd almost always doze off within half an hour. I found it was great to take the focus off of 'getting her to sleep' and made me much more relaxed about it all. It's still far from perfect, she doesn't always nurse down but the walking/rocking/bouncing she requires lasts all of 10 minutes max now.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Will she go to sleep in a carrier? For the longest time dd would only go to sleep if I wore her. Sometimes I could stay inside and walk around and sometimes I had to go outside so she was distracted enough to not get upset or be bored. It often took at least 45 minutes too, which was really annoying. Eventually I started reading while I walked around. For dd this started at 3 months and finally at about 18 months she started to nurse to sleep again.
This is the only way my DD will fall asleep too. I think the close, restricted hold is what does it--she can't roll over, play with her toys, push up on her arms, etc. In fact, when DD wakes up in the middle of the night and starts to push up, it's easier to strap on the Ergo again than to just pick her up and have her exhausted but crawling up my body for an hour, riling herself up when she'd really rather sleep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.