Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting him to sleep isn't a problem. I nurse or rock him to sleep. Getting him to stay asleep is the problem. I can time it! 30ish minutes after being put down he wakes up, almost every sleeptime. I read the NCSS and she says if it hasn't been at least an hour, to go in and get him back to sleep via nursing, rocking, whatever. (I didn't misunderstand that part, did I?) If I go running in there as soon as he makes a peep, he'll sometimes go back to sleep, but not always. If I can't get him back to sleep (remember, I have a 2.5 year old here with me, too, and I don't feel comfortable leaving her in the living room by herself for too long) he is just crabby crabby crabby. He shows obvious signs that he's still tired (rubbing his eyes, yawning, crabby, etc.) but just won't stay down. Lately he's only been getting two 1/2 hour naps per day...not enough!

(He does this same thing at bedtime, but goes back to sleep everytime then. It's just naptimes that he usually won't go back to sleep.)

I'd really appreciate suggestions!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I remember my dd went through the same thing around eight months, it was a very trying time even without #2 here at the time, I imagine its got to be hard keeping her busy while getting him to sleep. As far as daytime naps, I would try slinging him, thats how I get ds to sleep if I really need him to. And at night just stick with him and get dh to keep dd busy, if he is home at night.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gosh, I wish I had more ideas/solutions - but really just sympathy. My DD was a catnapper (ALWAYS 30 minutes long - you could set your watch by it!) until she hit around 10.5-11 months old....then magically, her naps began to get longer! Now, they are back to being "hit or miss", with a short one being 45 minutes, and a long one being almost 2 hours.....I try 'soothing' her back to sleep by going up there and rocking her back to sleep once I hear her, but honestly, that only works maybe 50% of the time, if I'm lucky?

Anyway, good luck! I hope it gets better for you soon....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EveningGrace
(ALWAYS 30 minutes long - you could set your watch by it!)
Exactly how Luke is!
So, there is hope that he'll take longer naps in the future? That's great, but it's not going to help him be any less crabby now. Thanks for the hope of good naps in the coming months!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dd is doing exactly the same. Just got up now after a little 30 min nap. I used to be able to nurse her back to sleep easily but recently it hasn't been working. And she's definitely still in need of zzz's. My theory is that she is so thrilled at her new mobility that she just can't bear to miss out on a minute of exploration.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
My DS sleeps longer if there is some sort of white noise. I always have a humidifier on in his room, but the bathroom fan works as well. Also, he sleeps really well in his carseat in the livingroom. I swear he just likes to be a little upright. Weird. Also, I've never been able to get him to sleep for more than 30 minutes in his crib. I nurse him to sleep on our bed, then if he wakes within an hour and still seems tired, I quickly nurse him back to sleep. That second stretch he'll sometimes sleep for over an hour, making for a good almost-two-hour nap.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my DD. She is 17 months and this is new for her. She sleeps fine for naps. No problem. Than at bedtime, she has been going down at like 8pm and then wakes up at 830pm....... Then it takes me until midnight to get her to sleep!!!!! She'll then sleep until 630/730am without waking. What is up with this???? Help me please. BTW, she is teething, but not at the extent that she was a couple of weeks ago so I do not think that is the problem. She wakes up asking to play but is still tired yawning etc...... I have tried both allowing her to go "burn off" some energy and play and tell her no it is time to sleep. I know my consistency is shot to he**...... but what can I do to fix THIS??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow! It certainly makes me feel better to know that my DD is not the only one who does this. Except for her, it's 45 minutes on the button. She just reached the 6 month mark and so I thought I'd try putting her on her tummy for naps. I put a little mattress (or just a pile of blankets) on the floor (because I was too nervous about putting her on her tummy in the family bed) and am able to nurse her to sleep with her on her tummy. Then when she wakes up at 45 min, I go in and nurse her back to sleep. This has worked a lot better than when I nursed her back to sleep with her on her back. And actually twice since I started this (two weeks ago) she's actually stayed asleep for almost 2 hours without waking up at her usual 45 minute mark. She's certainly not consistent with it, but it's definitely been a small change for the better.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
My little guy was exactly the same way -- as regular as Old Faithful, only without the income-producing tourist appeal.
I have to say, the NCSS idea -- dashing in the moment you hear a peep, nursing (or whatever) back to sleep -- really worked for us. And the key for us was doing this immediately. If I was downstairs in the middle of something and had to take the time to wash my hands or put down a big soup pot, and it was a minute or so before I got up there, it wouldn't work. I started just loitering in the hall outside his room around the half-hour mark, on alert. After -- oh, about 5 days or a week of doing this for both naps each day -- he started sleeping right through. Blissful!

JME -- I hope you find a solution that works for you soon!
~Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts