Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I work for a few people cleaning houses and cooking . One of the women I work for is a very wealthy woman who lives in the city about 60 miles north of me. I go there to work for her about twice a month. She pays very well, plus she has a grandson, so she has a tons of baby stuff and its easy to keep DD occuiped. I always take her with me, as Im there for 8-10 hours, and DD has never been left for more than 4 hours. My DH works there with me (he is actually the woman's landscaper) sometimes, especially when it is cold outside.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, we were working there two days ago and she hadnt come down (from the third floor) to greet us. I had already cleaned her kitchen, bathrooms, and done her laundry by the time she came down and said, "Oh, Im sorry I didnt come say hi, I have the flu. I just came down for some tea." I immediately picked DD up and took her to DH in another room, asking DH to take her to the bathroom and wash her hand and face. I had cleaned all that stufff and picked DD up tons of times in the process. I wash my hands a lot, but Im sure there were time when I didnt. She is crawling everywhere, so I have to pick her up about every 2 minutes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I asked how long she had been sick (4 days), what she felt like (gave me flu like symptoms), and if she had been to the Dr. (yep, she has the flu). She said she has been taking OTC medicines for the first time in 6 YEARS because it was so bad.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, after much deliberation with DH about weather or not to leave (we only had about 3 hours left), we decided to stay and go buy probiotics as soon as we left. We figured that DD had already been exposed to most of her germs. Im pretty irritated at my client for not informing me she was sick during our two phone conversations prior to me driving 60 miles to come and work for her. She knew I would be bringing my baby.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now, Im not a huge freak about germs or anything, but its christmastime and we have a lot of family events to attend, and I work for an elderly couple (90 & 95) 5 days a week, 3 hours a day. I take her there too and I will not be able to take her if she is sick. So, DH will have to stay home until I can take her with me again. If I get sick, I cant go to their house.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, <strong>is there anything else I can do?</strong> We have all be taking probiotics. Ive pumped and am mixing breastmilk with everything she eats (she is entertained by food, and will only nurse for so long at a time). She is still nursing for about 75% of her nutrition. If she does get sick, is there anything I can do? She has only ever had one cold, and that was after we went to a funeral and spent a weekend with 40+ family members at 6 weeks old.</p>

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
<p>IME breastfed babies don't usually get that sick when they get the flu anyway. If she does get sick, just bf her as much as she wants - she might reject other food and nurse more. But honestly I'd be more worried about you or your dh getting sick.  Good luck and I hope it passes your family by!</p>

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
<p> Just keep BFing!  I had the flu a few weeks ago and it was awful!  Luckily, my BFing 6 mo. old never got it probably because of all the antibodies in the BM.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts