Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal? My other child never had this. My baby is teething something fierce and there is the increase in saliva, of course but he also has a red, flakey skin rash all over his chin, cheeks. I don't know if he transfers saliva to his face when he chews on his fingers, hands - maybe that's what caused it?

Any suggestions for how to help this are appreciated. It looks awful but i worry most about his comfort.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
My baby would sometimes get something like this when she was teething - a red rash around the anus, too. I kept reading in various places that rashes like this were a symptom of teething, but never saw an explanation for it that made sense. It doesn't seem as if it could be saliva, which was pretty much the only explanation anyone gave. So I don't know what really causes it, but I think it is normal for some babies. Aquaphor seemed to help it for my dd.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Sounds about right! This happened to ds whenever he was cutting teeth and still does. The excess saliva can be more acidic when they're teething and this, coupled with the sheer VOLUME of the stuff can be pretty irritating to sensitive baby skin. Suggestions.....have you tried some non-petroleum based cream like unpetroleum jelly around your babe's mouth and chin?

This might help...i think the best thing is to keep a burp cloth handy to keep the area as dry as possible!

Hope it gets better soon!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
my son's teething as well and has a "drool rash" on his chin, it looks a bit like red pimples. when the teething slows down the rash clears up, but that's the least of his problems with the teeth coming in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.