Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been using time4learning, which doesn't offer anything for Social Studies for 8th grade. I intend to use it again next year, because it's still worth the money for ELA and science (we got a textbook for math at our local homeschool book swap.)

But that leaves us without guidance for social studies.

I'm not comfortable with "unschooling" this particular child for a variety of reasons, although I am open to a non-traditional curriculum. I just want the curriculum to be figured out before the school year starts, so if we're going to watch a zillion movies, I want to have a complete list of titles (and verify that we have a way to obtain each of them) before we get started.

Jack has trouble with reading, although he is willing to listen to audiobooks. Textbooks are useless, except as a guide for me to use. He can't/won't read them. I'm not even 100% sure I want to tie in the audiobooks with any other curriculum, as opposed to encouraging him to read anything that he might find interesting.

So I need to figure out WHAT part of history I should be teaching him, and put together a collection of movies to watch with him. Historical fiction is good, as are documentaries, preferably things that aren't too "dry and boring." Do I want to cover a large range of time, or focus on a smaller piece of history in more depth?

He's old enough that anything PG-13 is automatically OK, and some R movies are OK too, but I'd need to research each of those individually. I'm OK with violence that's appropriate to the context (such as battle scenes in a war movie).

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
We've been using time4learning, which doesn't offer anything for Social Studies for 8th grade. I intend to use it again next year, because it's still worth the money for ELA and science (we got a textbook for math at our local homeschool book swap.)

But that leaves us without guidance for social studies.

I'm not comfortable with "unschooling" this particular child for a variety of reasons, although I am open to a non-traditional curriculum. I just want the curriculum to be figured out before the school year starts, so if we're going to watch a zillion movies, I want to have a complete list of titles (and verify that we have a way to obtain each of them) before we get started.

Jack has trouble with reading, although he is willing to listen to audiobooks. Textbooks are useless, except as a guide for me to use. He can't/won't read them. I'm not even 100% sure I want to tie in the audiobooks with any other curriculum, as opposed to encouraging him to read anything that he might find interesting.

So I need to figure out WHAT part of history I should be teaching him, and put together a collection of movies to watch with him. Historical fiction is good, as are documentaries, preferably things that aren't too "dry and boring." Do I want to cover a large range of time, or focus on a smaller piece of history in more depth?

He's old enough that anything PG-13 is automatically OK, and some R movies are OK too, but I'd need to research each of those individually. I'm OK with violence that's appropriate to the context (such as battle scenes in a war movie).
Hi!

We just finished DS's 8th grade year and used Oak Meadow. It's mostly Civics for 8th grade, and we had great fun at icivics.org. It's a website started and encouraged by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. It's a lot of fun.

I'm only replying with info regarding Civics as that is, I think, typically an 8th grade SS class. Learning about laws, the Constitution, how our government is formed and how other systems of government work, etc. Oak Meadow's Civics had lots of projects and ideas for getting out and doing things that involved being in the community (visiting a courthouse during a trial, watching a City Council Meeting, etc).

:thumb

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm poking around the icivics website, but I can't quite figure out how the website works. Is it interactive? It does seem to offer enough information to be used as a primary curriculum resource, and it does offer a way for me to track Jack's progress online, similar to how I can see what he's completed at time4learning. I just need to set up a "class" and add my "student." I already had to make up a "school name" when I created the account.

This might be just what we need! We can still supplement with relevant historical fiction movies, particularly in the civil rights unit.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'm poking around the icivics website, but I can't quite figure out how the website works. Is it interactive? It does seem to offer enough information to be used as a primary curriculum resource, and it does offer a way for me to track Jack's progress online, similar to how I can see what he's completed at time4learning. I just need to set up a "class" and add my "student." I already had to make up a "school name" when I created the account.

This might be just what we need! We can still supplement with relevant historical fiction movies, particularly in the civil rights unit.
Hi, Ruthla,

It *is* interactive. The games are the most fun. I never set up a school...hmm. That's a great feature. I use a lot of blocking software but everything works on my computer and on our iPad even with my setup.

I'm glad you found something you can work with!

love, penelope

(edited to say: I think a lot of the teacher-specific stuff wasn't available at the beginning of the last school year...but I DID set up an account, I just forgot and my computer automatically logs me in).

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also just found out that I could sign Jack up for the high school level at time4learning ($30 instead of $20 a month) and select some high school courses and some 8th grade courses- meaning I could keep him in 8th grade ELA plus a high school social studies, and my choice of high school or middle school science.

So now I have more than one good option and I have to see which one is better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts