Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HATE to see my children sick espeically when it's their noses that are plugged up and they can't breathe as well.
I am shooting bm in her nose as often as she will allow me too but I'm wondering if there isn't something else I can give her? Is it ok to give an 8wk. old a drop of infant dimetapp or something? She NEEDS to sleep and hasn't much at all in the past 24-hrs.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
NO! I wouldn't. How about some saline drops and the nose sucky thing? Try to keep her propped upright, even while sleeping. Run a humidifier in the room with her? I know its hard, but it will pass in a couple days
Hang in there mama !!

· Registered
2,003 Posts
hi, mama... i know how hard this is! but remember, when we were in labor, and everyone wanted to give us anesthesia to "help" us? this is the same reason we want to let our babies fight diseases on their own... the untested immune system is an unhealthy one! instead of masking symptoms, you want to try to comfort and aid your baby's natural immune response (which is why all your breastmilk is so good for her right now!). nurse nurse nurse as often as you little one wants to, sit in a nice steamy shower with her, drink LOTS of water and tea yourself (because, you know, you're gonna get it next! ;-), and resist the urge to feed her pills and potions.

you might want to read a copy of "how to keep you child healthy in spite of your doctor" by robert mendelssohn (the spelling might be off, but you should be able to google it or find it on amazon or at your library). it talks about how and why you can support your child's natural abilities to fight and resist disease, instead of caving in to the drug culture of our nation.

hang in there, mama! this, too, will pass!

katje

· Registered
558 Posts
Hello!

Our son had a cold at 8 weeks, too. It was heartbreaking!

We did saline drops in the nose and then used the nasal extractor. That worked well, although he didn't like it at all. The other thing we found useful was elevating his head at night. We bought this wedge thing that goes under the fitted sheet of the basinette or crib. That helped, as did having him sleep on our chests if he was really congested.

There are homeopathic remedies, too. We used a very diluted essential oil treatment recommended by our naturopath. I wouldn't do that without consulting a homeopathic practionner.

Good luck!

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...you might want to read a copy of "how to keep you child healthy in spite of your doctor" by robert mendelssohn [/QUOTE said:
Thanks Katje, this book sounds very interesting!!! I'.ll check it out!

I have decided to just give her more TLC, mama juice and a bit of pulsatilla.

· Premium Member
4,565 Posts
I put Eucalyptus essential oil in a vaporizer. It seems to help (both the added humidity and the essential oil). That and steaming up the bathroom with a hot shower.

When they get older I put tea tree and eucalyptus in the bath-tub with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.