Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We took our daughter to our Paed for the 9 month check up and mentioned to her that baby seems to choke/gag on solid food we give her sometimes, asking her what is the ideal size to cut up soft fruits and vegetables in.
She said we should give her Gerber puffs only. When I said I would prefer home made food, she mentioned just puree whatever fruit/vegetable and feed baby with a spoon.
My daughter refuses to let us feed her and is doing very well with eating finger foods we have given her till date (starting 8 months) except a few gagging/choking-ish incidents. I do not agree with the Paed that she should be given only pureed food as I've done my research online.

Could someone please point me to a resource which I can show my husband for the right size of finger food.

Also, we'll be travelling on a long flight in May and would like to know what suggestions you have for food I could carry for my daughter which wouldnt spoil easily.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Hello

I couldn't find a chart, but at 7 months my baby was eating tiny pieces of food which were small enough that it wouldnt block this windpipe.

I think this is the size of his windpipe and would cut it small enough that he could swallow whole if needed. I get panic during that phase and I am more careful. I a lot of foods I wouldn't give him unless they were pureed

I hope someone as a chart that you can show your husband.:thumb

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Have you had a look at the baby-led weaning website? They have suggestions for how to promote self-feeding.

We found chip-sized pieces worked best for us. They needed to be long enough to stick out each end of their fist and thick enough to be able to easily pick up. I think I cut a pear into eighths for example.

Gagging (which is not the same as choking) is very normal at this age. A baby's gag reflex is triggered much further forward on the tongue than an adult or older child for exactly this reason :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Babies have an over active gag reflex and so the gagging is normal. Thats how they learn to eat. She will most likely gag and the food will move forward. You only need to worry about turning blue and making no noise. This is in regards to appropriate sized food. At her age BLW foods should be fine. Sweet potato spears, soft veggies and fruit spears. It sounds traumatic but to babies its normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.