Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is starting to drive me a bit batty, when I am nursing her to sleep, she sticks her fingers in my mouth, my nose, all over my face. What is funny is that last night I was trying to feel her belly thinking she was gassy and bloated (we recently introduced beans) and she pushed my hand away. Then I put my hand on her thigh, and she pushed it away. She did the same thing tonight, apparently she can touch me while she's nursing, but I cannot touch her.

Is she too young to work on getting her to not stick her fingers up my nose while nursing? And, what is the best way to do that. Perhaps I need to find the nursing necklace and use that again.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
When my dd would do that I'd just hold her hand. She didn't really like it and eventually she stopped trying poke me (though she still relapes at 20 months.)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I'm working on them with my 8 mo old. I try to redirect his focus and if I get frustrated with it I roll away or but my breasts away for a little bit, ask him to please be gentle with mommy, and if he's ready to start again.

I'm also starting with the 'please' thing for everything....I'm asking him lots and helping him to ask me...if he's fussing for something I say "you mean 'can I go down please"'?? And help him sign please on his belly.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
: It never occurred to me that I could do anything to prevent the fingers up the nose!!!!

But - another question about this - she only does this if I'm nursing her to sleep. I'm worried that if I stop her, she will resist and keep herself awake. Does this happen?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spughy
But - another question about this - she only does this if I'm nursing her to sleep. I'm worried that if I stop her, she will resist and keep herself awake. Does this happen?
My theory is, if he's actually tired and really needs a nap than he'll sleep regardless of interuption. And if it's enough to distract and wake him, then he's not really tired right now.

If your DD is different and really needs a nap or naptime routine, then you may just want to gently hold her nose-poking hand and massage it or direct it to a necklace instead or something.

And Angela- I can see my DS being the same way- when I do try to distract him, I think his theory is "okay, I can be patient and wait 'til you give up and try again once your guard is down".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts