Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J is 9 months old now and besides a little soreness at first and a few plugged ducts nursing has gone well. A couple of weeks ago he cut his top two teeth and things have been going downhill since that.

The biggest problem is his latch. He latches great at first and as the feeding goes on he lets off a little more until he is basically just comfort nursing on my nipple. If I take him off and relatch he will nurse for a minute or so with a good latch and then slack back off. I take him on and off repeatedly and switch sides. None of it is really helping and I don't know what to do. My nipples are now very sore from his teeth scraping against them. I am using nipple cream that helps to soothe them between feedings but it hurts almost the entire time he is nursing now.

Today J was very cranky and bit me at least 10 times, leaving teeth marks more than once. A few times I was quite surprised and screamed out, causing him to get upset and cry. I've tried telling him that he cannot bite, ending the feeding and putting him down. He just gets upset and cries to nurse. I don't think at 9 months he really understands what I am saying or doing. I realize that he may have new teeth coming in that are causing him to bite but chomping down on my already raw nipples is just not acceptable.

Can anyone give me some advice or encouragement? He will be waking to nurse again soon and I am dreading it. I wish that he would take a bottle so I could give him some pumped milk and at least skip one feeding.

· Registered
17,579 Posts
I believe that at 9 months he can see and remember simple cause and effect. He bites... nursing stops. What teething tools are you giving him? Maybe when he bites you could take him off the breast and hand him a frozen washcloth, or whatever he likes to gnaw on.

PS, next time you talk to Baba tell her it's time to retire.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trishshack
Well since I'm not getting any advice at MDC I called my old pal Babs and she said I should start giving him formula and she would announce it on The View tomorrow!

· Registered
45,796 Posts
Quote:

Well since I'm not getting any advice at MDC I called my old pal Babs and she said I should start giving him formula and she would announce it on The View tomorrow!
You mean good old Babs didn't suggest that ds is biting because he's ready to wean anyway?? I mean, isn't 9 months a little too old to be breastfeeding anymore...I mean I've heard of women nursing 3 or 4 year olds but isn't that a little gross :LOL

· Registered
3,628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
You mean good old Babs didn't suggest that ds is biting because he's ready to wean anyway?? I mean, isn't 9 months a little too old to be breastfeeding anymore...I mean I've heard of women nursing 3 or 4 year olds but isn't that a little gross :LOL
Oh yes, 9 months is waaaaaaay too ling. What are you thinking?!?!?! I mean if I'm supposed to be introducing a sippy and beginning weaning at 6 months, then 9 months is just crazy!
(end sarcasm)
I have no advice as of yet. I'm just hanging ou and taking notes for later. My dd is working on her first teeth, and she's using everything, including my nipples, as chew toys.

· Registered
686 Posts
Quote:

THANK YOU CARRIE! I haven't tried many of the suggestions there. I am sure that some of them will be very helpful.

you're more than welcome!
her ideas helped me out a lot when dd teethed, too.

· Registered
4,309 Posts
Sympathy here for you...my dd was a brutal biter, she cut her first tooth at 4 months and at 7 months she actually bit a HOLE in me.
It was horrible. I tried everything, but after she bit a hole in my boob, It took two weeks to heal, and no nursing on that side for two whole weeks. I used a good hosp grade pump to keep from getting mastitis too. The two weeks of no nursing on that side seemed to break her for the most part. She self weaned at 13 months and still nipped me now and then, but not near as bad as before. HTH.

· Registered
1,665 Posts
9.5 months. thanks for the advice- i guess i will wean this bugger. just found tooth #7, that explains alot.

i even expressed him a bottle tonight because he kept biting. he gnawed on that bottle nipple in between slurps. painful to watch!

he'll learn. my others did.

· Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by becca011906
oh trish i could have wrote you first post, my dd is the same age, doing the same thing. I'm going to a LLL meeting tomrorow night and prayng some one will give me some tips, i'm going to read through kelly's mom also!!!

Ditto!
I checked this thread because I was hoping for some advice as well.
My ds is nearly 7 months, only has his bottom two teeth, and has been biting me for the past week. Sometimes I can tell (afterward!) why he did it, but I haven't been able to stop it. I also try telling him "no" and putting him down, but he keeps biting! He tries the chewy toys, but still chews on me.

Any advice would be great!
-Sally

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.