Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as of this morning my 9 week old refuses to nurse. he just screams. what could cause this? what should i do? he has done this before where he gets so upset he cannot nurse but now even if he calms down he will nurse a moment and then freak.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Did you eat something strongly flavored? He could be objecting to a new taste to your milk. Other things that could cause this are teething, (he's a little young, but you never know) ear infection, any kind of pain in the mouth and throat (is his throat swollen?) overactive letdown (if he's not nursing as much as he should be, try to pump to keep your supply up and your breasts manageably soft). Also, has he had bottles at all? My ds did this for a while when he was being overfed by the daycare he was in once a week. I pulled him out and haven't had any problems since. It seemed that he wanted the milk faster, like from a bottle, so the breast wasn't satisfying him. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
sounds like he might be in some pain when he tries to nurse.<br><br>
Is his nose stuffed up?<br><br>
Have you checked for thrush (yeast) in his mouth?<br><br>
Call a lactation consultant. They are in teh phone book if your birthing place/midwives/hospital don't have a recommendation.<br><br>
they will give free info over the phone.<br><br>
I owe my breastfeeding life to the lactation consultant I saw...<br><br>
Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He does not get bottles. I did have an odd dinner last night. If that is changing the flavour how do I deal with that? He does not seem sick and no signs of thrush or extra gas.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
If it is a flavor issue, it will fade pretty quickly as the flavor of the food leaves your system. Try to note what it was you ate so that if it happens again you can figure out what it is.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Anytime Evan used to get an ear infection, his reflux skyrocketed and he would sometimes refuse to eat. One weekend all he did was scream and he ended up losing weight from not eating. Sounds very refluxy to me and after your other post, I'm beginning to suspect reflux/food intolerances.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
That's the age where both my dd's often refused to nurse in certain locations and positions. They were perfectly willing to nurse in bed but if I'd try in the living room they'd scream like crazy.<br><br>
Another thing to try is a chiropractor check for any alignment issues that might make nursing suddenly uncomfortable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts