Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My DD1 (turning 9) is having a slumber party with 4 girls for her birthday this year.   I am looking for some ideas for the girls to do.  I thought that they might like to watch a movie and have popcorn (movie ideas welcome!), maybe do a craft, open presents of course.  I would like to have a couple more activities for the girls, just in case they want something else to do. I would love to hear from some other moms who've done this sort of thing before.  Thanks!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
7 Posts
<p>Hi... We are having a slumber party for my daughter (turning 10) this weekend. We also did one last year for her 9th birthday. This year each girl is decorating there own shirt and we are making bottle cap jewellery. We usually have dinner, cake, presents and then crafts after that the girls usually like to do there own thing after. I have movies available and I also picked up some tattoo pens. Last year for dinner each girl made there own pizza  and we also had each one decorate there own mini birthday cake. We may do the pizza again this year. Another neat idea is to have a "spa" party you could do manicure pedicures and have a hair and makeup station. They have some great all natural kits to make your own lip balm or bath fizzies stuff like that.</p>

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Ooooo!!  I like the idea of making their own t-shirts.  Not sure I want to take on the manicure, though.  I will have my3 yr. old and 8 months old, and that sounds like a lot to deal with.  I had planned to order pizza, but one of the girls is gluten-free, so I have to figure out something else.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>thanks!!</p>

·
Registered
7 Posts
<p>My niece is gluten free as well you can buy gluten free pizza crust and make your own... Not sure where your from but I know here there are a few pizza places that make gluten free pizza. Just make sure that cross contamination isn't an issue. </p>

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
<p>You can buy already made frozen pizzas that are gluten free.  Ask the girls mom, she might be a fan of one brand or she might not like them at all, in which case, I'd ask the mom for suggestions.</p>

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>I did talk to the mom about GF pizza, actually.  Unfortunately, there aren't any pizza places around us that make GF pizza, so it would be frozen.  I may go that route.  I also thought that I might make quesadillas with corn tortillas.  I had another idea, but forgot to write it down, and now I can't remember it, lol.  I make lots of naturally GF food, so I don't know why I'm having such an issue with this particular thing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
<p>Honestly, the girls will find ways to entertain themselves.  We've done lots of sleepovers, and the kids always find things to do.  For girls of that age, movies, video games, crafts/drawing, doing hair/nails, and listening to music are pretty popular activities.  For crafts, I'd suggest embroidery thread for friendship bracelets, or any clothing item (tshirt, jewelry, hat) that could be decorated.</p>

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<p>Thank you for all the input!!  Here's what we ended up doing:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-Girls arrived at 4:30, and they played for abut 30 minutes.</p>
<p>-I set up the T-shirts and decorating items (thanks Schmikol!), and they made their t-shirts while the potatoes finished baking.</p>
<p>-For supper, we had loaded baked potatoes (butter, salt, pepper, sour cream, cheese, turkey bacon, and steamed broccoli).</p>
<p>-After supper, we had cake and ice cream, sang Happy Birthday, and DD opened her gifts.</p>
<p>-DH and I put the littles to bed, and the girls got their PJs on and set up their sleeping bags.</p>
<p>-DH set up a horse movie for them (The Silver Stallion), and they enjoyed some popcorn and hot chocolate while they watched it.</p>
<p>-We sent them down to DD's room after the movie, and they laughed and talked until about midnight.  </p>
<p>-In the morning, we made GF pancakes, scrambled eggs, and a fruit salad.  The girls enjoyed playing together until the parents picked them up at 11:30.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would say overall the party was a success.  There was one girl who will not be invited back to our house, but even with all of her stuff, DD said she had a great time, and very much enjoyed herself.  As birthday parties go, it was pretty easy and inexpensive for me, too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
<p>I'd suggest nachos instead of gluten-free pizza. Another idea could be buying a ton of dollar-store makeup and fake fingernail kits and letting them use it. Also the girls might like to make or decorate something- bracelets, or notebooks, or tote bags maybe. At that age I loved Mad Libs but I don't know if kids these days go for that. </p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts