Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was told they'll be doing a lead test along with iron testing. does this mean a little finger prick, or does this mean they're gonna go digging around for a vein?

·
Registered
575 Posts
The wic office I went 2 just did iron with the finger.For the lead I could go through the health dept and get a finger prick as well,but I decided to skip the lead test.I can't see a WIC office doing anything but finger(or foot) pricks.<br>
sara

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
our wic office is in the health dept. do you think that would make a difference?

·
Registered
575 Posts
you could always call and ask prior to the visit.I know I will be declining any future pricks on the kids from WIC.They made my son cry something terrible!<br>
I know when my dd was needing the lead test for headstart my peds clinic drew blood.I said no thanks.I did find a health dept. that just did the finger,but by then I had found out I could decline the test and did that.<br>
sara

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you sara. sometimes the most obvious answers just DONT jump out at ya right away, lol i had not even thought about calling the office itself, lol.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
My DS just had his 2 yo recertification. As a former WIC volunteer and board member (different state then now though) I am sure their rolls are down b/c all they requested was one pay stub and proof of ID!! No request of vax records (and they don't know I don't vax!!). They ask about lead here and refer you, I know finger prick tests exist but are avoided b/c of false positives from dust on hands-although I guess an alcohol wipe would avoid that, but....) Anyway, DS had his second iron test and the nurse is good at it-he never knew he was pricked and does not care about the lil squeeze of blood. I had the "good" nutritionist this time (The other one HATES me!!) and she said "I am amzed his iron is so high, he was near anemic last time!" I reminded her he is breastfed so their panic meant nothing to me as I know that what comes up as near anemic to them in a BF 1 yo is usually way off!! She agreed.<br><br>
Then we discussed their promotion of nestle-no natural peanut butter, etc. Why do I bother?!?! But I heard a friend who is getting BF help from WIC got a call for my #, the yknow of my past experience so I wonder what is up?!?!

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, called the office talked with a nurse- she said it is just a finger prick, and they dont even do the lead testing anymore....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi, i know htis post was along time ago but im wondering has anyone here refused the finger prick at wic and if so how did it go? Im going with my 6 month old and i just dont feel comfortable letting them prick him for the test. i mean he is not even on solids yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts