Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DSD talks...a lot. She will tell a story and drone on and on and act parts out...to the point of screaming or rolling on the floor. Then she will continue on repeating parts of her story.
She also talks very fast and slurs her words at times. This is off-putting to adults and other children/friends. What can we do?

I was thinking she would benefit by having a safe children's forum online to talk with other children on. Is there such a thing? We've tried getting her into journaling, pointing out that she is rambling, talking about conversation etiquette, asking her to keep stories to about one minute in length. Nothing has changed. Maybe a code word for when she's rambling?

It's actually embarrassing. She has entered a room with our adults friends and interrupted by started a story about her bio-mother abusing her. Just plain as day when she walked into the room. We don't know what to do.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyCalling View Post
My DSD talks...a lot. She will tell a story and drone on and on and act parts out...to the point of screaming or rolling on the floor. Then she will continue on repeating parts of her story.
She also talks very fast and slurs her words at times. This is off-putting to adults and other children/friends. What can we do?

I was thinking she would benefit by having a safe children's forum online to talk with other children on. Is there such a thing? We've tried getting her into journaling, pointing out that she is rambling, talking about conversation etiquette, asking her to keep stories to about one minute in length. Nothing has changed. Maybe a code word for when she's rambling?

It's actually embarrassing. She has entered a room with our adults friends and interrupted by started a story about her bio-mother abusing her. Just plain as day when she walked into the room. We don't know what to do.

Yep, sometimes kids talk on and on. That is just how they are. They also are inconsiderate and interrupt. The only thing you can really do is remind them that it is polite to wait until it is their turn to talk. As for the dramatics... well I don't really have much to add about that.. maybe she is just an over dramatic person.

ETA: Oh and for the talking fast and slurring words.. simply remind her to slow down so other people can understand her.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kids that talk a lot are cute at about 4yo, not 9. It's apparent even children don't enjoy her company for long. This is really something she needs to learn for basic life.

It's not just the talking, it's what she talks about, when, with whom, etc. I've been reading articles and many say children need to learn internal dialog, assess when the listener isn't into what they are saying, when they are rambling, and how to be concise. We'll work on those things. She also needs to realize who the lister is. Mr. Smith, her friend's father doesn't care to hear a 5 minute one-sided story about her chicken sitting on her head. Her friend might want to hear a 2 minute version, but that's all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.