Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine some here may have seen this or perhaps it was shown before, but I think it bears showing again. For those families suffering because of autism, this story is especially for you.

http://www.guzer.com/videos/autistic_player.php

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I've moved this to special needs parenting, but am leaving a redirect for any of our members in vaccination who would like to see it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It's a nice video.

Respectfully, I have to ask, as I do whenever this comes up: Can we have less of the "suffering" and "surviving" language, please?

Autism is not fatal, therefore talk of "survival" is moot (and sensationalist). Also, many people with autism and their families feel they have learned a great deal and gained a great deal from life through their experiences with autism, and find talk of "suffering" innacurate and hurtful.

I am not trying to start a debate, (and am SO not in the mood to fight with anyone right now) but will calmly and politely post in this vein when this sort of language is used. Thanks, all.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Individuation View Post
Respectfully, I have to ask, as I do whenever this comes up: Can we have less of the "suffering" and "surviving" language, please?

Thanks - I was going to say this too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts