Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear mamas and non-mamas alike,<br>
I am trying to get a box of books and resources together for a pregnant friend of the family and want to add an attachment based parenting book, too. Anybody have any recommendations for AP books that does not at all legitimate the practice of circumcision? Honestly, I have never read Sear's, and dont really know which to choose.<br><br>
ETA - or more importantly, a book that supports the concept of genital integrity.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dr. Sears and family are prolific writers on all things AP and, though I think they come across as pretty fair an balanced (I look to their website, <a href="http://www.askdrsears.com" target="_blank">www.askdrsears.com</a>, often and there a few articles there on it). I don't know what is in any of the Sears baby care books, but I'll bet you'd find a lot of AP stuff and nothing pro-circ.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I do not find Dr. Sears to be supportive of genital integrity. He points out that there is absolutely no medical reason to do it, but supports parents' right to do it anyway, if, you know, it is <i>important</i> to them. "Them" being the parents. So in other words, it is the parents right to have unneccessary surgery done on their son, rather than the son's right to bodily integrity. No mention of human rights. Overall, I would not hightly recommend the Sears' books anyway. Actually, they were fabulous for information on developmental and medical issues. But, as far as attachment parenting I found their attitude of "just pop the baby in a sling and go about your day" to be disingenuous at best. Sure, slings and cosleeping are great, but they sure didn't make things <i>easy</i> like the Sears suggested. Maybe there are more realistic books on attachment parenting?<br>
The BEST mention of circ I found in a parenting book was in a guide for lesbian parents-to-be. The name of the book escapes me now. I got it from the library. It was an awesome book. I will find the title for you.<br>
eta<br>
Oh, here we go, first thing that popped up on Amazon dot com and it was the book I remember from the library:<br>
The Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy for Lesbians: How to Stay Sane and Care for Yourself from Pre-conception through Birth, 2nd Edition [Paperback]<br>
Rachel Pepper<br>
Rachel Pepper (Author)<br><br>
Jen

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for trying to answer my question. And, Jen, I honestly have never read Sear's books...or his son's books for that matter, but I had a feeling it might be wishy-washy in that area. Thanks for the link to the other book, next time im at the library I will do a search for it.<br>
The soon-to-be father is a young minister. When I was pregnant, they spoke to my mother for quite a while about home birth and natural birth - but several months earlier the man was apparently expressing disgust to my DH about the idea of public breast feeding. I know an AP book might help to tie together a lot of different issues, but I really want to gift them with something that affirms the mother-child bond, breastfeeding and the genital integrity of our children. I will keep looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts