Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All!

DH and I are going to Morocco this summer. I'd like DH to share the babywearing with me. I feel much safer with DS close to me in those crowded market streets! Anways, can anyone recommend a carrier that is a bit, umm, *cough* 'manly'? DH has used a baby bjorn type front carrier before, but DS is too big for it now.

TIA

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Mamma's Milk (www.mammasmilk.com) has a camaflouge (I butchered that spelling) pouch that is nice. Or, at www.taylormadeslings.com they have some manly fabrics in ring slings.

For something cheap in a ring sling, you could try Rev. Jan (www.sleepingbaby.net). She has some nice solid fabrics and you could get something for $20 I believe. If you want to pick out a nice manly fabric of your own and send it to her, she will make one for ya.

HTH

·
Registered
951 Posts
You could also try an asian baby carrier. Very comfortable, you can both use it, and can look very manly. I make my own, but the Kozy is very popular.

I am going to make dh a navy blue asian baby carrier with red sox material for a pocket. I don't think he will be able to say that one is girly. lol

Angie

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotmamacita
I don't know Umm. Carrying your hubby might be, well uh a bit, emasculating....esp in Morocco.

:
*snort*

You are SUCH a dork!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd also recommend a Maya Wrap Adjustable Pouch in either Black #57 or the Color Grown #27. The color grown color is like a medium khaki color. I love the fabric in these things, just enough stretch, snug enough, but the ends stay loose so its easy to get our baby in and out. I've only used my Maya Pouch for our newborn so I'm not sure how it works with older children.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Don't know if I'm too late to chime in, but my DH likes to use only our Baby Trekker when carrying DD, and he only likes to use it in the back carry position (he's only carried DD in the front carry position once or twice). Our sling and pouches are too "feminine" for him. That could be just my DH's hang-ups, though! LOL!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiemommy
Don't know if I'm too late to chime in, but my DH likes to use only our Baby Trekker when carrying DD, and he only likes to use it in the back carry position (he's only carried DD in the front carry position once or twice). Our sling and pouches are too "feminine" for him. That could be just my DH's hang-ups, though! LOL!

No, our DHs share hang-ups.

Although DH will use a front carry, but only if it's the kind of carrier that doesn't look ANYTHING like a 'traditional' carrier (read 'the kind of carrier used by villiage women in his country'). It has to be a 'I'm a modern manly-man' kinda carrier.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My hubby is an avid babywearer! LOL in his own collection he has a really nice striped maya sling..it even has purple in it! LOL he has his own Kozy carrier black with kalaido pocket.. he does not have a pouch yet, but he does use the didymos as well, we used to have a trekker that he would use on occassion and we also have a tough traveller back pack carrier that he really loves...

His two absolute favorites that he would not do without (he just told me
) are the Kozy www.kozycarrier.com and the mayawrap (we bought ours from Suzy at www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com) shes wonderful to deal with and ships very fast, as well for the Kozy Kelley is really fabulous to work with she will make sure everything is just as you want it!

So thats my hubbies take on things...he would also really like to try a Pea in Pod pouch in his size but thats really on hold now until Jens son is healed and she opens again! but her product is one of the best I have used as well for what its worth..

Sorry for all the suggestions! there are just so many great products out there! it all comes down to playing and experimenting..I think its a good thing to be able to try before you buy if you have any doubts..i think its great your dh wants to wear your baby!!!

Yaay! for babywearing dads

HTH some.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I haven't had any experiences with this yet since our babe is only three weeks old (today!), but I was having a conversation with a friend of ours about carrying his 18 month-old daughter. They had a Baby Bjorn until their backs started to bug them and their little girl was getting too big. So they use an Ergo when walking with the dog around the neighborhood or walking to the store or the train or out shopping. They are avid outdoors folk, so they bought a framed back carrier (probably a Kelty, but I'm not sure) because they both found that carrying her in the Ergo simply gets too hot because she sits so close to them.

Just wanted to share since I'm sure Morocco in summer is much hotter than Oregon in spring...

warmly,
claudia

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so far I've been thinking about the Ergo (but still keeping the HOT weather in Morocco in mind). I went to Peppermint but the discontinued the Ergo. SO I'm still looking around! BTW, the picture of Mrzmeg's DH is too great! I think my DH wouldn't mind an Ergo.

Thanks so much, mamas, for the replies. Keep em coming! The more input, the better! DH and I are both grad students, so believe it or not buying a new carrier is a big investment (that's dipping into our vacation money)
So I really appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I just looked at the Kozy. I love it! But there seems to be a month long wait for new orders???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts