Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have one or do you just clean as you feel the mood? I think I would get so much more done if I had a "system" or schedule. I'm fairly visual and like to be able to check stuff off.
So...what's your system. Share, please.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Right now, I just do a few daily chores (dishes, pick up, do a load of laundry if there's enough for one) and one extra task (clean a drawer, organize paperwork, declutter, etc.) I need to work out more of a real system though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wish I did! I have a hard time even getting the dishes done! My DS is nuts! He wants to be active constantly, he won't even sit in the sling long enough for me to lead the dishwasher! Makes me think that living in extended family units might not be such a bad plan after all!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evansmama View Post
I wish I did! I have a hard time even getting the dishes done! My DS is nuts! He wants to be active constantly, he won't even sit in the sling long enough for me to lead the dishwasher! Makes me think that living in extended family units might not be such a bad plan after all!

I think my problem is there's so much to do that I get overwhelmed and don't do anything
Today I wrote of things I think need to be done and a list of when to do them and I'm going to trial it for a month or so. It can't be worst than the system I already have...the I'm not going to do any housework system.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
I think my problem is there's so much to do that I get overwhelmed and don't do anything
Today I wrote of things I think need to be done and a list of when to do them and I'm going to trial it for a month or so. It can't be worst than the system I already have...the I'm not going to do any housework system.
LMAO! Right thre with you!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I did have a cleaning schedule but it was making me crazy. I'm a perfectionist and if I didn't follow my schedule just right, I didn't do it at all. It got out of hand and cleaning seemed to be taking over my life as too high a priority.

Now on either Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, I clean all the bathrooms (takes about 20 minutes, I clean the mirror, counters, sink(s) and toilet). I vacuum all the carpet and tile and wash the tile. It takes about two hours. Then sometime during the week, I clean the main floor bathroom.

I did have a schedule of zones/deep cleaning chores. I figure with our kids birthday parties and holiday gatherings in May, June, October, November and December, the big things will get done enough because I do a deeper clean for those events.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
Thats me too!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
No schedule here - tried Flylady but didn't stick with it.

I do think the key is to be decluttered which definitely helps in the long run.

Daily things that happen generally before 10am: kitchen clean, dishwasher running, laundry on, bedrooms picked up and in a reasonable state (not perfect though), bathroom clear of clothes/toys etc. Dinner is prepared after lunch so there is no end of day rush.

Then as the mood strikes me or something looks dirty I will do the bathroom/toilet/vacuuming/dusting etc. I will do deep cleaning when I feel like it - often well after it's needed though!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
my schedule is

on work days i straighten the kitchen as much as my energy allows in the morning. minimum usually involves tossing last nights cans in the recycling, corraling dishes into the sink, if i feel really motivated i'll unload the dishwasher, and sweep

i drop laundry off at my moms house on the way to work and pick it up on the way home (where it usually sits until i have a day off)

on days off i scrub down the bathroom and the kitchen counters/stove, fold laundry and put away, declutter whatever area needs it the most

every day dirty clothes get put in the hamper and clean clothes go in the clean hamper

dh vacums when he feels like it

and we do deep cleaning when we're supposed to be packing for vacation

·
Registered
586 Posts
I use a dry erase board ($15 ish at Target) that is done like a month.

I still keep the M T W R F SA SU across the top but down the side with label maker tape I changed it to

morning
afternoon
evening
night
chores

So it is like a weekly calendar with boxes for times of the day.

I only schedule 2 things a day, be it a playdate or an errand. 1 day a week has to be totally free. Both those things keep me sane.

In the "chores" row, with label maker tape, I write down 3-5 things for that day. For example -- Mon is kitchen, clean fridge, trash, laundry. I do not list "pick up toys" or "dishes" because those are daily.

Each day gets one room of the house and the yard/garage/patio gets Satuday because then I have DH's help.

If the thing gets done, I put a dry erase marker dot next to it. If it does not, it has to wait til the next week that that day's mini list rolls around. This helps me manage my time so I'm most effective. While my hosue is not as clean as I'd like, it's actually pretty good with a toddler in the home and most rooms get hit at least once a week most of the time.

A.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm a pick-up as I go person. As I'm walking through the livingroom, I'll grab several things that need to be put away and take care of it right then. I'm also a dropper and I have a pile of my dd's school pictures in a spare diningroom chair because I don't what do with them! I vaccuum several times a week . We have two cats and one has long black hair and that can get to looking icky on the floor. A dirty floor drives me crazy because we walk barefooted most of the year and we spend a lot of time on the floor playing. I generally vaccuum while my dd is in the tub.

My strategy is to maintain so I'm not spending big chunks of time cleaning house. I would say I spend about 15 mins a day on various tasks and that keeps the house tidy. Occasionally it'll get a bit out of hand and more in depth cleaning is just needed once in a while anyway but between working full time and being a single parent, I think I manage pretty good. I don't feel like I'm constantly cleaning and my dd is a big help too!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Yes, I have a schedule. I have it all written out in iCal (the mac calender program) and have programmed it to repeat itself at various intervals.

Every morning starts with a tidy. I walk around and put things away. Then a dish load, which I have timed--it only takes me 15 min.

Mondays are bedroom & bathroom. Tuesdays are hallway & living room. Wednesdays are kitchen. Thursdays are dining room. Fridays I do a mini clean of the kitchen and bathroom--especially important if they didn't actually get cleaned on their regular day! Saturdays are porch & plants, Sundays are car. Laundry usually happens on Mondays as well. Under each "event" telling me which room to clean that day, I include the specific tasks. So Monday looks like this:

start bedclothes, towels, clothes washing in the laundry: set alarm

bedroom:
put clothes away
put random things away
dust
shake out mat
sweep/vacuum

bathroom:
put objects away
clean toothbrush holder
put rubber gloves on
spray shower tiles, sink, tub
scrub toilet bowl
clean lamp, mirror, shelf
scrub sink
wipe down countertop, sink, cabinet pulls
wipe down tub edges, toilet
scrub tiles, tub
wipe down floor with towel & diluted vinegar
put disinfectant in toilet brush cleaner

I don't usually follow that strictly, but if I'm feeling blurry then it tells me what to do. (We have a lot of dust here for some reason, so I have to keep up with tasks that in other homes I didn't have to think about.)

I also have biweekly, monthly, quarterly tasks programmed in. To be honest I've been ignoring those for a long time, but I'm happier knowing that any time I decide to bother, I'll know what to do! And because they're split up--some monthly tasks one week, some monthly tasks another week--it's not overwhelming.

I started out kind of rigid and perfectionistic about my schedule. I learned to be more flexible about it. If I do it, great. If I don't, oh well. I try not to focus on what I haven't done last week, and just focus on what I'm going to do today. So for example right now the place is pretty dirty cause lately it's been one thing after another or I had other priorities, and here I am sick again... and I'm not worrying about it. Really I'm not.

Also, certain areas (hallway, dining room, porch, car) are easier and/or less important than others... so they're scheduled on days when I'm usually more tired, or more likely to go out and not clean.

I started this after reading "idiot's guide to cleaning" which, despite the title, is actually quite good!

I also employ flylady's "I can do anything for 15 minutes." And decluttering and other systemic improvements make it all much easier--for example I bought a box/basket type thing to keep on the bathroom counter, and I keep nearly all the bottles and jars inside it, so when I'm cleaning the counter I only have to deal with the box, not individual objects.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Yes, I have a schedule. I have it all written out in iCal (the mac calender program) and have programmed it to repeat itself at various intervals.

Every morning starts with a tidy. I walk around and put things away. Then a dish load, which I have timed--it only takes me 15 min.

Mondays are bedroom & bathroom. Tuesdays are hallway & living room. Wednesdays are kitchen. Thursdays are dining room. Fridays I do a mini clean of the kitchen and bathroom--especially important if they didn't actually get cleaned on their regular day! Saturdays are porch & plants, Sundays are car. Laundry usually happens on Mondays as well. Under each "event" telling me which room to clean that day, I include the specific tasks. So Monday looks like this:

start bedclothes, towels, clothes washing in the laundry: set alarm

bedroom:
put clothes away
put random things away
dust
shake out mat
sweep/vacuum

bathroom:
put objects away
clean toothbrush holder
put rubber gloves on
spray shower tiles, sink, tub
scrub toilet bowl
clean lamp, mirror, shelf
scrub sink
wipe down countertop, sink, cabinet pulls
wipe down tub edges, toilet
scrub tiles, tub
wipe down floor with towel & diluted vinegar
put disinfectant in toilet brush cleaner

I don't usually follow that strictly, but if I'm feeling blurry then it tells me what to do. (We have a lot of dust here for some reason, so I have to keep up with tasks that in other homes I didn't have to think about.)

I also have biweekly, monthly, quarterly tasks programmed in. To be honest I've been ignoring those for a long time, but I'm happier knowing that any time I decide to bother, I'll know what to do! And because they're split up--some monthly tasks one week, some monthly tasks another week--it's not overwhelming.

I started out kind of rigid and perfectionistic about my schedule. I learned to be more flexible about it. If I do it, great. If I don't, oh well. I try not to focus on what I haven't done last week, and just focus on what I'm going to do today. So for example right now the place is pretty dirty cause lately it's been one thing after another or I had other priorities, and here I am sick again... and I'm not worrying about it. Really I'm not.

Also, certain areas (hallway, dining room, porch, car) are easier and/or less important than others... so they're scheduled on days when I'm usually more tired, or more likely to go out and not clean.

I started this after reading "idiot's guide to cleaning" which, despite the title, is actually quite good!

I also employ flylady's "I can do anything for 15 minutes." And decluttering and other systemic improvements make it all much easier--for example I bought a box/basket type thing to keep on the bathroom counter, and I keep nearly all the bottles and jars inside it, so when I'm cleaning the counter I only have to deal with the box, not individual objects.

wow this is awesome,can you share your whole week.we have a mac and I am just figuring it out,does the calender pop up daily or do you have to go in and search it?I need something right there.I am going to print out your bathroom schedule,that ishow i need it written so please pretty please share the rest
:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, status report! It's really helping, plus because I have just a few chores on each day I get the sense of accomplishment that comes from completing a task.
I've made notations that I need to change a few things and add a few things, but overall it's been very helpful to keep me on task!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.