Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time gardener, and I have radishes with holes in the leaves. Not sure what that is, or what to do about it?<br>
Green beans are growing like mad. Do I need a trelice for those things? The vines are growing so fast they are finding there way to my cucumbers and attaching on.<br>
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The holes in your radish leaves are most likely from a pest. Somebody is nibbling. That said radishes are hearty little buggers so you don't really have to worry about it. They will grow fine with the holes.<br><br>
The beans depend on the type you planted. If you planted bush beans, no trellis is needed. If you planted pole beans, well, you need some poles!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'm having a bad time of flea beetles this year. They LOVE radishes, but usually don't affect the actual radish. Radishes are actually grown as a trap crop for flea beetles (to keep them away from other crops). Do the holes look like someone shot your radish leaves w/a shotgun? That's probably flea beetles if so.<br><br>
Ditto about the beans. Use poles, trellis, whatever, but do it quick-like!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!<br><br>
I guess I won't really worry, then, about my holey radish leaves.<br><br>
DH is stopping today on his way home to get me a trelice! I didn't know I would need one - I did buy pole beans! Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts