Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling really ready to transition from my full time job to a WAH-business.

I am a certified yoga teacher, a birth doula in training and I am looking for something else (preferably something flexible to accommodate me being at births) to do....

Two ideas I had recently that I would love to hear feedback on...

~ I LOVE to cook (and I'm pretty good at it!
)!! So I was thinking that I could create and sell healthy (whole food, vegetarian, vegan...not sure....still playing around with ideas) bag lunches that parents could buy for their kiddos to bring to school/daycare. I think if I did this I would have to partner up with someone (my mom would be ideal...she's planning to retire soon) so that when I do have to be at births, she could cook and deliver the meals. I could most likely sell them via our natural foods co-op or possibly offer delivery to the schools/daycares in my area.

~ Another idea that I've tossed around for a while is starting a home-cleaning service that uses totally natural, chemical free products. I recently saw an ad in our co-op newsletter for someone who is doing this already....so I wouldn't be totally unique but I think it is something that people might be interested in.

It seems like the house-cleaning would require less overhead and start up costs...but then I have to really think if I want to be cleaning every day.

Anyway.....VERY preliminary here. Just wondering what your initial impressions are. Would either of these services interest you (or do you think they might interest others who are working full time out of the home).

TIA!

~Erin

edited for spelling
:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Regarding the food idea... one problem is that I, as a mother, wouldn't want to go to the store to buy a pre-packed meal for my kid to take to school. That seems like sort of a hassle. It would almost certainly cost more to buy the lunch than to make it at home. I would be paying for labor and packaging to get what, a sandwich, fruit and cookies? Know what I mean?

Now, if you created something I could buy in bulk and PUT in my kids lunch at home, that would be more appealing.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you feedback!

I got the idea because I read about a woman in another state who has a really successful business making healthy "home-made" lunches for kids in daycare and in after-school care. It seems like she actually comes in and caters at the centers. So that just got me thinking about how hurried everyone is and how it might be nice to have a pre-packaged...but "home-made" lunch that you send kids off with.

The more I think about it though...if I'm looking for something that is doula-friendly...house-cleaning might be a better route. Most people (I think) wouldn't stress too much about having their cleaning day delayed for a day or two while I was attending a birth.

And plus some of my doula clients might also be interested in house-cleaning services....especially if I'm not using any nasty chemicals.....

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I like the cleaning idea.

Or, how about if you offered an extra service to your doula clients. After the birth of their baby you could come in and help with cooking, cleaning, etc.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
If you can cook, what about offering your services as a personal chef? You know, the kind who brings over all the cooking gear and food, cooks up meals, then leaves them in freezer containers and cleans up. This is someone who does this in my area, although I have never used her services:

http://www.vegathome.com/index.html

As far as the cleaning service goes, I wouldn't be too psyched to hire a cleaner who might not show when she's scheduled to. I mean, I have to pick up the house before the cleaners come over, and what if there's a reason I need it cleaned, like a dinner party or something? What if I wanted to be out of the house when the cleaners come, then I have to rearrange my schedule if they change theirs at the last minute?

Although I do like the idea of using green cleaners. Our last house cleaner fired us (well, we were going to have to let her go anyway because I quit my job) for making her use the non-toxic stuff.
:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I like both ideas. There is a company here that makes raw food lunches and delivers them to homes and businesses Mon through Fri for $50 a week.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you guys!

Jane ~ Too funny that your house cleaner didn't want to use natural cleaners....no thanks I prefer to work with toxic chemicals.
:

My mom said the same thing about needing to be on a schedule when you are cleaning houses. When she used to have someone that cleaned, she always planed to entertain on Friday because her cleaning person came on Friday morning so she knew the house would be spotless.

I talked with DH a little more and he thinks that what I'm thinking about offering would probably work nicely as post-partum doula services, where I could charge an hourly rate for light housekeeping, laundry, grocery shopping, errands, meal preparation etc.

It's fun to think about all the possibilities (especially when I've had such a difficult week at work
: )!!

Thanks again!

~Erin

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Quote:
I talked with DH a little more and he thinks that what I'm thinking about offering would probably work nicely as post-partum doula services, where I could charge an hourly rate for light housekeeping, laundry, grocery shopping, errands, meal preparation etc.
IMO, new mommas need to stay in bed and do nothing but nurse their babies for the first several days.
A service like that would make doing so much easier!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think that a personal lunch chef would be awesome! I think you could also offer family plans--I often needed lunch while at work.

Something fun we saw while in NYC, was a lunch cart that went from floor to floor for the business workers. I thought that was a totally cool idea! Plus you could share business cards for making kid's lunches, catering dinners etc.

Of course, there may be some liability issues you'll have to deal with, but as a doula I'm sure they tell you about that stuff.

good luck, they both sound fun!! Wish you lived closer, I need some lunches LOL!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
HI,
I think your husband is on the right track! There is definitely a need for postpartum doulas (hey, especially ones that can cook!) You would be able to add that on to your birth doula work nicely!!! And if the mom has kids, you could pack their lunches for them! I am ready to hire you next time I have a baby! Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going for you!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If you're a baker, what about making customized birthday/special-event cakes? Even post-partum celebration cakes? My midwife brought us a sheet of carrot cake after the birth and it was great!! (also for "entertaining" people coming to visit the baby)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love the idea of the additional doula services...
Also, if I could afford it I would TOTALLY go for somebody who came to my house and cleaned with all natural stuff, and made it smell nice and - I dunno - lavendery! LOL
Really, I think you could do well with both of these things. How much would you consider charging for your cleaning services?
Too bad you don't live near me! heh heh...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i like the vegan lunch idea!! it would be great for when my kiddo's go to school

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.