Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to make a bunch of different threads so I just grouped it into one.

First off, my dd's poop comes out yellow and seedy, but when I go to wash it (even if it's 10 minutes later) it's green. It's like when it's exposed to air it turns green. What does this mean? Am I just being a goof even thinking about this?

Second thing, my dd has just started crawling, sitting up, and standing all within two weeks (5 1/2 months - 6 months). When I weighed her at 5 months she weighed almost 14 lbs. When I weighed her yesterday she weighed out at 13 lbs. I'm going to chalk it up as she's more interested in being mobile and less interested in eating and because she's moving around more (burning tons of calories) and eating less and less often she's just going to lose a bit of weight. I know it's perfectly normal, but I'm getting heebie jeebies. Please re-assure me that this is normal.

Third thing, my dd really really loves food. Anything we're eating she wants. I didn't want to even start her on food until she was almost a year, but she won't let me not. I hardly give her anything just a couple small bites here and there. I'm very scared that because she loves food so much she will self wean earlier than I want her too. My neice was the same way and at a year old she was only nursing at night to fall asleep. I don't want that. Do I just continue to offer breast first then food much later in hopes that she continue to bf often?

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
1) Don't worry about the poop.

2) Don't worry about the weight - it's very normal for babies to start slimming down as they start moving around. As long as she's bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, it's fine.

3) I would follow her lead on food but make sure to nurse her before she eats solids, and encourage her to nurse throughout the day. If you co-sleep, that's a great way to get more milk into her as well at night.

4) You didn't ask this and feel free to ignore it...but I see from your siggie you're TTC. Getting pregnant will more likely than not cause your supply to go way down (it doesn't for all women but it does for many if not most). Many babies will wean when their moms become pregnant because of the dip in supply and because of the change in taste. Many will nurse through but they're not necessarily getting a whole lot of milk. My 28 month old ds is a dedicated nurser and is still nursing a lot even though I'm almost 32 weeks, but I doubt he gets anything at this point.

Which is to say, if you want her to keep nursing through a year, you might consider putting off TTC a little longer just to be on the safe side.

HTH!

·
Registered
126 Posts
i agree with quirky on all counts.

my daughter was always at the top of the charts, weightwise, until her 9 month appt where she fell to 75th or something. she was just a lot more active. its totally normal. i just nurse her whenever she asks (crawling over to me, climbing in my lap, tugging on my shirt, trying to latch through my shirt, etc.) and offer the boob whenever i think its been a while since she last ate.

as far as solids go, nurse first, then offer solids. my girl is starting to really enjoy solid foods now but she still nurses as often as she did before. i always nurse her before giving her other food.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quirky
4) You didn't ask this and feel free to ignore it...but I see from your siggie you're TTC. Getting pregnant will more likely than not cause your supply to go way down (it doesn't for all women but it does for many if not most). Many babies will wean when their moms become pregnant because of the dip in supply and because of the change in taste. Many will nurse through but they're not necessarily getting a whole lot of milk. My 28 month old ds is a dedicated nurser and is still nursing a lot even though I'm almost 32 weeks, but I doubt he gets anything at this point.

Which is to say, if you want her to keep nursing through a year, you might consider putting off TTC a little longer just to be on the safe side.
HTH!
Yes, I know. I'm very worried about this as well, but I feel in my heart that if I don't have another child soon, I won't get the chance again. I have (in the past) been very right about these kind of feelings and I'm not willing to risk it. By the time I want to get pregnant my daughter will be almost 10 months old.
My daughter loves nursing and she loves her milk,
but she just isn't interested like she used to be and she attacks me when I am holding food. She will scream at you if you don't give her a bite. We do co-sleep and will until she kicks herself out. She nurses at least 3 or 4 times during the night. Maybe she's just making it up during the night? She still has tons and tons of dirty and wet diapers, so I'm not at all worried about the amount she's eating. After she's a year old or so, I don't really mind if she just nurses during the night, at naps, and for ouchies, but right now, I think she needs my milk more than she needs solids. Am I just being over cautious? Should I just feed her more solids and less milk? She has really bad skin allergies and I'm afraid that giving her more solids right now will give her food allergies. What should I do?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Definitely keep up with as much mama milk as you can get into her, especially with her allergies! I would follow her lead on feeding her food, just make sure you control it and take introducing new foods veerrry sloowwly.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I agree with keeping restraint on the solids, always nurse before a meal of solids as well. Make sure she isn't super hungry and goes right for the solids, get some mama milk into her first. If you let solids displace breastmilk, it is less likely she will continue nursing to one year. There are very few solids that are as nutrient dense as breastmilk, so at this age you can limit them to give breastmilk priority and don't worry about her not getting enough solids - especially with her enthusiasm about them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.