Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mamas,

I noticed when my dd was doing the light fluttering comfort nursing this morning she produced a letdown. She rarely comfort nurses, as she still gets enough milk to swallow with just that flutter nursing. I had a huge oversupply in the beginning and while it's much better, I still produce a lot.

So, with most women, do their babes not get milk with comfort nursing?

Something else I've been wondering is...when DS would cry as a babe, I would letdown, but with DD, I don't. I can sometimes look at her and love on her and I will letdown, but mostly it's right after she starts nursing. Any idea why this would be? I remember getting panicked when DS would cry when we had company or were in public, because I would drench my shirt

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I'm pretty sure DS got some milk every time he nursed, whether he felt a need for hunger or for comfort. More when sucking hard in a deep rhythm I believe. My letdown doesn't seem to work like an on switch like the books describe. I'm not totally sure, unless I'm expressing I just don't know when milk is coming out.

I think the easy letdown and leaking has to do with breasts getting used to
nursing a first time, that would explain why your next child didn't make it happen and why it doesn't happen much/any when a baby gets older.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.