Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like a pattern for a blanket that I saw on the Lion Brand website (Cascading Leaves). For some reason, I can't seem to link it here, but I copied the beginning of the instructions. I think I can get through most of it, but i do not get the first row at all! Can anyone put it into English for me??

And also, do I have to use the Jiffy brand of yarn? It says it is 100% acrylic & I was hoping to do this in something more natural.

Thanks.

SIZE: About 48" x 62"

MATERIALS:
LION BRAND Jiffy, Art. No. 450 (3 oz. solid color, 2.5 oz. multi, Heather Blue, and Dusty Grey color balls) 19 balls Color No. 140 Rose or color of your choice; Needles Sizes 10 1/2 straight and 10 - 29" circular OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE.

GAUGE:
Each square measures 7 1/4" x 7 1/4". TO INSURE PROPER SIZE, BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.

NOTES:
M1: With point of right-hand needle, lift running thread between last st worked and next st, place thread over left-hand needle and knit into back of this thread.
3-st psso: Slip 2 sts as if to k, k 1, pass the slipped sts over the k st.

SQUARES: Make 48
Starting in one corner, with straight needles, cast on 1 st.
Row 1: Work (K 1, yo, k 1) in front lp of st-3 sts.
Row 2: P 3.
Row 3: P 1, M1, k 1, M1, p 1.
Row 4: K 1, M1, p 2, (p in front lp, then k in back lp) of next st, k 1.

· Registered
3,928 Posts
You can use any yarn you want, so long as it knits up to the same gauge. You can do a swatch to make sure, but seeing how it's a blanket and not a garment, it wouldn't matter that much if it's a little off. But, you may need a little more or less yarn,

as for the first row

Cast on one stitch. In that stitch, knit like you normally would. But, don't drop the stitch off the left needle. wrap the yarn over the needle (bring to the front, over, and around to back) then in that same stitch, knit into it again like normal.
Then you would turn, purl once into each: the knit stitch, the loop formed by wrapping the yarn, and the other knit stitch

sorry, not clearer. baby fell asleep NAKing

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momma2emerson
as for the first row

Cast on one stitch. In that stitch, knit like you normally would. But, don't drop the stitch off the left needle. wrap the yarn over the needle (bring to the front, over, and around to back) then in that same stitch, knit into it again like normal.
Then you would turn, purl once into each: the knit stitch, the loop formed by wrapping the yarn, and the other knit stitch

sorry, not clearer. baby fell asleep NAKing
Thanks for your reply! I have my needles & a ball of practice yarn.

I cast on my one stitch.

I knit into it, but don't let the stitch drop off. At this point, there is 1 loop around each needle--is that right??

Then, I do the YO onto my right needle?

And then knit into the stitch that is on my left needle?

Does that sound right???

Why can't I just cast on 3 stictches?? Just wondering.

Thank you thank you thank you so much!

DOnna

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.