Mothering Forum banner

A few questions about PCOS?

545 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sri Radha 
#1 ·
PCOS was mentioned today at my doctors appointment. He went throught the 'symptoms' (ie: excessive body hair, acne prone skin, irregular periods and ovarian cysts) and the said the I don't really fit the 'mold' for it. He had an ultrasound done a couple week ago and it showed everything there look great. My question are: how possible is it to have PCOS and not have ovarian cysts? If you have PCOS what were/are your symptoms?

#2 ·
I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago....I do not have cyst and I really don't fit the mold very well either. My biggest symptoms was irregular cycles and annovulation. I did have a bit of acne and slight thinning hair at the time of my DX. I also had elevated levels of testosterone and my LH to FSh ratios were off. I did gain a signigicant ammount of weight after my DX. I had to see an RE to concieve my son with the help of clomid. After the pregnancy I put on alot of weight and was able to lose it and control most of my symptoms following a low GI/carbs diet. I cut out most of the grains from diet and all sugar. Women with PCOS generally are insulin resistant. After losing the weight and cutting out the refined carbs I started cycling on my own and was amazed when I concieved my daughter naturally!!!! I was told I would never get pregnant without drugs. I'm hoping for another miracle. Good luck to you! Be sure and get your hormones checked including your testosterone and your fasting glucose level

#3 ·
I was diagnosed in September. My symptoms are ridiculous cycles (I've ovulated 5 times in 2007 and I think this cycle is also anovulatory). I have tons of facial and body hair and a bit of acne. I also have cysts, and my LH-FSH ratio is way off. According to blood tests I am not insulin resistant and I also do not have weight issues.

It's all about hormones. PCOS is a cluster of symptoms, and if you're not ovulating regularly and your hormones are off, it could be PCOS. About 90% of women with PCOS have cysts, but about 50% of women without PCOS also have cysts, so cysts alone are not enough for a diagnosis.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird45 View Post
PCOS is a cluster of symptoms, and if you're not ovulating regularly and your hormones are off, it could be PCOS. About 90% of women with PCOS have cysts, but about 50% of women without PCOS also have cysts, so cysts alone are not enough for a diagnosis.
Yep, just because you don't have ovarian cysts doesn't mean you don't have PCOS. One of my good friends has a lot of the symptoms (overweight, abundant facial hair, insulin resistance) but no cysts. She was still diagnosed as having PCOS, and has been responding well to Metformin.

I *do* have the classic "string of pearls" ovarian cysts, as well as screwy cycles (usually only one or two "real" periods per year, with some random anovulatory bleeding every once in a while) and severe acne. I'm not overweight and not particularly hairy other than a slight mustache and a few chin hairs, though. My doctor was reluctant to diagnose me with PCOS since I was "too thin", but I finally managed to see a gynacologist, who confirmed it on the basis of blood work and an ultrasound. It really does vary from woman to woman.

Hope that helps! Good luck with everything!

#6 ·
If you look in the Finding Your Tribe section, there is a PCOS tribe that contains a lot of good information.

PCOS comes down to hormones. The name is a mis-nomer, since as indicated, cysts can be present without PCOS, and PCOS can be present without cysts. There is a long string of symptoms, and if you have several of them, you'll usually get a diagnosis of PCOS.

Some of those symptoms are:
  • Irregular or absent menses
  • Infertility
  • Acne
  • Obesity or inability to lose weight
  • Excessive body or facial hair (hirsutism)
  • Insulin resistance and possibly diabetes
  • Thinning of scalp hair
  • Skin tags
  • High blood pressure
  • Multiple hormone imbalances
Treatment will generally depend on your particular symptoms and what you're attempting to accomplish (whether or not you're TTC). Metformin is often times the first place doctors stop. I highly recommend you do your research before taking it. Some people have no trouble with it, but some people do. I can't handle the Metformin at all, but I have gotten great results just by changing my diet. Some women use herbs, some find acupuncture helpful. There are all sorts of alternatives to taking Metformin and informing yourself is important, IMO.

HTH

#7 ·
I also have PCOS but do not fit the "profile." I don't have polycystic ovaries, I am not obese, I get occassional breakouts, and I have a stray hair I have to pluck from my chin!
: But in general my symptoms are pretty mild. I do have the irregular periods and the anovulation which are the big ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.