Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a separate pail or little trash can for your covers? (I've read to not store dirty covers in the diaper pail)

Do you exclusively hand wash your covers (BSWW, Thirsties, etc) or hand wash some of the time, or always machine wash them with your dipes?

Do you use dryer balls or static sheets (not dryer sheets)?

Can you dry indoors on a drying rack or hanging up? (I've heard that you need the sun and/or the dryer heat for sanitation?)

Do you really need a Thermos pump full of warm water to wet your cloth wipes? Or do you simply wet the wipe with a spray bottle or the faucet?

And if you use Country Save Detergent...

How much do you really use per load? (full scoop for clothes, half scoop for dipes? one TB? two TB?)

Do you also use an oxygen cleaner or bleach?

Have you had issues washing fleece (I am considering Fuzzi Bunz and I think these have a fleece lining.)

Thanks for helping me figure out these newbie questions that have been nagging me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you have a separate pail or little trash can for your covers? (I've read to not store dirty covers in the diaper pail).

- I've read that too, but I store them in the same place.

Do you exclusively hand wash your covers (BSWW, Thirsties, etc) or hand wash some of the time, or always machine wash them with your dipes?

- I hand wash them if they've only got a bit of poop on them... but if they start to stink, I throw them in with the other dipes. I hang them to dry, though.

- I just started using dryer balls with my prefolds, fitted, and inserts... but I don't use them with my covers, I hang all of them to dry.

Can you dry indoors on a drying rack or hanging up? (I've heard that you need the sun and/or the dryer heat for sanitation?)

- I dry mine hanging over the edge of the bathtub or on the towel rack.

Do you really need a Thermos pump full of warm water to wet your cloth wipes? Or do you simply wet the wipe with a spray bottle or the faucet?

- I keep a peri bottle to wet my wipes. Re-fill the water every day or so. I use my water bottle when we're out. We use cold water - my son is used to it now

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
These things are a little tricky to figure out! Here's my take, although this is all a matter of personal taste:

Do you have a separate pail or little trash can for your covers?

No way! When a cover is dirty, I spray the poop off and throw it in with the dipes. Granted, most of my covers are snaps. If you have velcro you might want to fix the tabs first.

I hand washed before I got my sprayer. Now they just go in the machine with the dipes. But never in the dryer if I can help it.

Nope. Considered dryer balls, but never got around to it. Not really needed.

We have done both. I gave up rack drying dipes because of the extra time, now we use the dryer, except for covers. Sun is great for stains. Washing on hot is all the sterilization we need. Never stripped, they seem very clean.

I keep a wipes solution in a gallon jug (1:10 witch hazel to DISTILLED water) and every so often I pour enough over a good handful of wipes with a couple drops of oil if I'm feeling fancy. We keep the moist wipes in an old disposable wipes box. We need things as easy and fast as poss.

How much do you really use per load? (full scoop for clothes, half scoop for dipes? one TB? two TB?)

I'm a miser, and use a scant half scoop on very load, a little more or less depending on the size of the load. We have a top loader, old style, but it seems to be enough. I'd rather use too little than too much, and because of the sprayer, most of my dipes are pretty clean.

Used to use oxy clean occassionally, but gave it up since it's not really necessary. Never used bleach. Sometimes vinegar and sometimes Tea Tree Oil.

Have you had issues washing fleece (I am considering Fuzzi Bunz and I think these have a fleece lining.)

Nope - we have fleece night covers and they wash beautifully.
GL!

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I throw everything in the same pail, covers and all that. Too much effort to have a separate pail. I also just throw everything in the dryer, we have mostly fleece covers and a few PUL but I just keep forgetting to pull them out before I throw stuff in the dryer!!

We use Country Save in a new top loader, we use 2 tbsp in diapers.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I work out of the house so I do a lot for time sake:

Do you have a separate pail or little trash can for your covers? (I've read to not store dirty covers in the diaper pail)

Nope, too much for DH to handle.

I only hand wash my wool.

Dryer balls

Yes, but I have not done in a long time. My dipes need some sun because they are having a tough winter.

No, I use a foamer bottle. DS likes for me to squirt foam on him (and then his hands and face...)

half scoop and calgon because we have horribly hard water and I was having build up issues but if I did not use 1/2 scoop, I had dirty diapers (we have an HE front loader)

No - calgon has a similar affect for us....

Nope, they seems to have poo come off easier too.

·
Registered
241 Posts

We use reusable nylon tote bags that I got as a gift in a 4-pack. One goes on the back of the door handle in the store room, one hangs on a nail. The hanging one gets all wet/soiled prefolds, anything yucky. The one on the back of the door gets covers and liners that were wet and only need washing. That's only because I have issues with the covers going in the bag with some of my nasties... I have some pretty plush covers.

Everything goes in the machine. Covers can go in with our regular laundry, everything else in the dipe load. Only sometimes can we do a rinse/air dry but never a sink wash, I worry about getting it well rinsed.

I have used the balls before but not currently and not since cding. I'm interested in the static sheets for the rest of our clothes though (I used to use softener but baby has excema and I don't do baby clothes separate from everyone elses)

I'm in Michigan so it would be difficult (not impossible) to line dry in winter, so I dry covers/liners on the rack and pf's and inserts go right in the dryer. AIO's (I have 4 for nighttime) get pulled out of the dryer damp and then go on the rack to save on air drying time.

Faucet. Disposable while out. Or what we used when we were at our own, old house -- a wipes warmer with just water and maybe a few drops of oil. (Not as green imo due to energy use, but nice on newborn bottom and tired mama's hands in cold michigan weather)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

Nope, the diapers all go in the pail and I just lay the cover on top if it needs to be washed. Sometimes I just throw it in the pail with the dipes.

I only hand wash wool, and have only had to do that once (we don't use the wool often). The covers go in with the dipes and dry on a rack.

Nope.

We have been throwing ours in the dryer every time. But the weather is finally starting to get spring-like here, so I'd like to start line drying them every once in a while to get the stains out.

N/A We're still using up all the disposable wipes that were given to us before she was born. Just starting to run low, I guess it's time to think about how the cloth wipe thing will work... I like the idea of using a spray bottle or peri bottle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.