Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I am 23 weeks pregnant with my second child, and I am starting to think about bf-ing again. I nursed my daughter until she was 18 months, and the only problem I ever ran into was that my left nipple is fairly flat and I had a hell of a time getting her latched in the beginning, to the point where I was constantly bloody and sore on that side, and ended up pumping from the left, nursing on the right, and giving bottles of the pumped milk until I healed up many weeks later...I persisted, and eventually it got better and around 5 months we dropped the bottles and nursed from the tap on both sides

So, I don't want to have the same cracks, bleeding, and pain I had last time. My breasts are already fuller and I can see the same flattened nipple challenge re-presenting itself. Once my milk comes in post-birth, I know it will get harder.

My questions are: Is there anything I can do this time to make it easier and avoid the pain? Would wearing breast shells before birth help draw the nipple out more?

Thanks in advance for your help. I love nursing, and I'm excited to do it again, but I want to avoid the problems this time.
Angela

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi Mama! We had a hard time latching at first and used a nipple shield for a while, but it was a pain and I really didn't want to use it. Another thing I did once I tried to nurse him without the shield I would use my pump just for a couple of minutes to draw out my nipples for him to latch on easier, and that did help. We struggled for awhile, but thankfully it got better.

Best of wishes Mama!!! Hope all goes well with your new bundle of love!!!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I didn't use a nipple shield, but rather a nipple shell. My left nip is flatter than normal (not completely flat) but we had a hell of a time latching on that side. Using the nipple shell in between feedings (you don't nurse with it on) helped draw the nip part out. If you start using it now you may be able to nurse right away on that side once your LO is born! Of course it looks silly as hell so wear at your own discretion, but it really helped me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.