Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost every time I stand up whether from a lying down position or a seated position I get a head rush. This isn't good, is it?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That's usually low blood pressure. Or just morning sickness. That happens to me ALL the time so I'm just used to getting up slowly now and that usually takes care of it. If not, I also have a chair in my kitchen so if I get up and my vision goes out, I either grab a wall or sit back down.

Sorry you're dealing with it. I think it's pretty common in pregnancy though

·
Registered
398 Posts
Its really common especially now that the placenta is starting to funtiion more. It can cause lower blood pressure and other syptoms..BTW eating 5 to 6 small meals a day helps. Just watch it..cause last week I was at my sons school and passed out. They said that its super common.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
I have had this too with this pregnancy. (I'm lurking here from the May DDC). I think dizzyness in early pregnancy is a normal symptom. I didn't have it with my daughter though, at least not that I recall.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Shoot, I have this when I'm not pregnant! Just low blood pressure. My normal blood pressure is around 90/60 so I'm used to it. It takes the blood a little time to get to your head. No biggie. Very common in pregnancy. I usually just stand up slowly and make sure I have a hand on something to steady myself. Then I just stand there for a little bit until I can see again.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reassurance!
I remember seeing in movies where someone's first pregnancy symptom would be passing out and I didn't get it because I never felt that with ds.... now I know

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
I was just reading about this in the Sears Pregnancy book. It's normal... even when not pregnant, when we stand up, our blood pressure temporarily changes. It's just exaggerated when pregnant.

Of course, if you're coming close to fainting or anything, it's a big deal... but I get a head rush pretty much every time I stand up quickly. Standing up slowly and in stages totally alleviates it, but I never remember to stand up slowly.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i have this problem too, cause of low blood pressure when i'm not pregnant, let alone when I am. I am a water junkie and always have a bottle in front of me. before i stand up, i make myself take a drink, otherwise i get up too fast and get tunnel vision, have to sit back down or end up on the ground. the water trick is good for you and once you get into the habit, it helps.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Okay, faint-y mamas, are you also cold? Or, no? Because I am normally of a hearty constitution, rarely dizzy, rarely cold. I also gain weight very easily and have slightly elevated blood pressure most of the time.

My last doc appt my blood pressure was somewhat low (I was about 5 weeks pg then). And I'm constantly cold, dizzy, and I've been losing weight.

Are some or all these things connected, for you??

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenangelcat View Post
Every now and then I get weak dizzy and really shakey. I usually down a huge glass of sugary ice tea and then lay down for 20 mins and then I feel fine. Is this low blood pressure or low blood sugar and is it a problem?
I would say it could be either. If you eat and feel better, it's probably blood sugar. Are you going a long time without food?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.