Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(nak)

about a month ago, i went vegetarian after reading fast food nation. i swore i'd never touch meat or go near a fast food place again. i was doing very well, and feeling great about it... until today.

my little boy has been sick all weekend, and has been nursing almost constantly; when he's not nursing, he's got to be right on top of me. and sometimes, despite all i do, he's still screaming and i'm miserable.

as soon as dh got home, he could see that my day was much more stressful than his, so he took the baby and i left... and went straight to dairy queen for a banana split
. but i didn't stop there.. i went to mcdonalds and ate a quarter pounder, fries, and a sprite!! :doh

so, i could defend myself and say that it was all stress and what have you, but i'm totally disappointed in myself
. has anyone else ever had such a horrible slip-up in the healthy eating department, or am i the most depraved person out there?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Oh, come on now, give yourself a break! We grew up on that food.

I have found it pretty easy to stay veggie, but really difficult not to eat junk food. Continually. I used to have a horrendous commute of about 2 hours, and I didn't always, but I often, stopped on my way home for fries at some fast food joint or other.

during my pregnancy I often craved frozen blintzes fried in margarine. Not a gourmet food!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've been veg for 12 years now. But I've started eating meat. I started eating salmon when I was 5 mos. pregnant for hte omega 3's (since brain development starts around 5 mos. gestation).

But now with my 2.5 y.o. nursing almost exclusively, especially hwile we travel, and with good veg food hard to find and food not as readily available, I have decided that there are times when I'm just going to have to eat meat. It's really gross to me, and I try to eat veg when I can, but sometimes we just make the best decision that we can in a certain situation. I don't eat meat at home, but in the last month of travel, I've had a hot dog, a piece of chicken, and something else my husband picked up at a kebab place when I was desperate ...

IT's not a slip-up, in my view, it's just the decision you (and I) made with the situation and tools etc. that you had in your life at that time.

Congratulations on your commitment to your health. It's supposed to pay off in the long run and, for some, in the short!

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. Nursing makes you very hungry...er ravenous... and you go for what is familiar and you know will fill you up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.