Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i'm new to this whole mommy thing and i'm new to this board. so i was wondering about what some things mean. like AP, AND TANDUM nursing stuff like that. could someone explain it all to me please i feel like i'm a little stupid here. lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
AP= attachment parenting

tandem nursing= nursing an older child and a younger child, usually nursing a toddler through pregnancy then nursing both it and the newborn

HTH

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hmmm...Well, AP is what most of us at this site practice.

My own personal definition of AP is :

exactly how my little Maggie wants to be treated.

I didn't set out to AP, rather, Maggie lead us to AP. I treat her in a way that makes her happy and it just happens to be AP. She slept on me for the first 5 weeks, now we are part-time cosleepers. She was in a sling for hours every day for the first 8 weeks, and now just occasionally. (She likes her freedom sometimes.) We breastfeed exclusively and on demand. Use of baby tending devices (swings, bouncy seats, etc.) is limited, if used at all. There is no "crying-it-out" for us. When she cries (which is fairly rare), we go to her.

Our society (in the US) teaches us to distance ourselves from our child and teach them to be independent. AP families believe that tending to their child's needs will make the child more secure and less afraid to become independent in their own time- less prone to anxiety and such because they know they are loved. There are lots of studies on this, but the media won't tell you about them very often.

Here are two good sites:
www.askdrsears.com and www.kellymom.com .

·
Registered
715 Posts
I agree, well put!

I only wish that I had discovered this way of parenting sooner and that I had not read all of those parenting magazines that said "you will suffocate your baby if they sleep in your bed" and "you have to get a co-sleaper, a swing, a bouncer, a jumper, a crib a playpen" and a million other peices of junk. Babies do not need these things, all they need is mom
. The next baby will get tons of love and closness right from the start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.