Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows everybody feeling?

I am doing mostly good, but definitely starting to feel BIG. This baby is feeling heavy and I've started experiencing some sciatic pain and achy back. I'm running out of things to wear. I have exactly one shirt for each day of the week but only one skirt fits me now so I just wear that every single day. Gonna have to go shopping soon because this is not a maternity skirt, lol. So so thankful for my kids right now, their joy and enthusiasm about this pregnancy is such a treasure and makes it all worth while. I mean, of course its all worth it, but their admiration and interest in the process and the love they express for this little baby is such a reminder that I need to appreciate each little moment of this pregnancy as its super likely to be my last.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Awww, your kids sound so sweet, @jaimezee.

I'm at 21w5d with my first baby. Feeling well physically. The left side of my hip is a bit achy and stiff, but not enough to really bother me. Last week, I finally started being able to feel the baby move. It's the cutest thing! It always cheers me up.

My main discomfort right now is emotional/mental. I've been feeling excessively irritable and anti-social lately. It bothers me when people comment on my appearance, telling me that the baby looks huge or that my hair is too thin. And I hate the looks of horror when people hear that at 5 months, I don't have everything ready for the baby yet. Every barbecue and other social event I've attended lately has left me feeling exhausted and unhappy. I've decided to stay away from socializing for the next little while.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm doing well. Working 5 days a week still in the Toddler room at my childcare center. Still attempting to work out 5-6 times a week and ugh, in this heat. I still get nauseous sometimes, usually from prenatals. I finally have a bit of a belly, which causes neck and back pain (pre-existing injuries). All in all though I'm so happy and grateful to be here.

In exciting news! We found out in the beginning of July we're having a BOY. His name will be Finnegan Alexander, we call him Finn. We have our nursery starting to come together. We made a name plaque for him from letters we bought at Hobby Lobby, we set up our crib, we have a dresser, a changing table and a swing. We're starting to plan colors and a mural. Also working on a big letter F for the door. Slowly but surely things are getting done :)

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
20w5d here! Energy is good, but I'm still dealing with feeling overstuffed after dinner and got my first Braxton Hicks on Friday. :p

Most of my shorts no longer fit, so I went and got my first pairs of maternity shorts last week - suuuuper comfy! :)

I'm still getting people saying I don't look pregnant, which is kind of annoying but I know I'll appreciate the slower growth later on. I have my first prenatal chiro adjustment tomorrow to help with some hip and tailbone pain, yoga's been managing my round ligament twinges nicely.

DH and I are both nesting I think - we did a MAJOR deep clean of our master closet and chest of drawers and threw out and designated a LOT for donation. I have open drawers for baby stuff now! It felt really good, and we went to see Minions as a reward. ;) We're in the middle of doula interviews and figuring out the birth class we want to take, too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been really blessed this pregnancy with few complaints. No morning sickness at all, which is incredible for me considering I had it quite bad with the other four pregnancies. (With my son, I fractured a rib it was so bad!) I was real tired all the time during the first few months but now I'm back to my night owl ways and thankfully I'm not totally narcoleptic during the day anymore. Only thing that's been bugging me is the beginnings of symphysis pubis dysfunction - FUN. I had it with my last pregnancy and was able to keep it tolerable with chiropractic care so that's the plan this time around, too. All in all, though, it's been a really easy pregnancy. (Please no one kick me for saying that. :wink: )

I am starting to feel pretty big, too, @jaimezee. I make big babies, anyway, so I guess I should expect it by now. Still, I have been feeling so... I don't know... like there is just so much stuffed inside this big ol' belly that I'm gonna burst! I'm hoping that feeling eases a bit as the little one grows and stretches more.

Best part of it all, of course, are the little kicks and punches. :love I have an anterior placenta this go around and it prevented me from feeling her for quite a while. I was worried that it would hinder me from feeling her even as she grew bigger and bigger but these past couple of weeks have brought some pretty powerful thumps. I'm so thankful and excited to know now that I won't notice much of a difference. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great to hear how everyone is! 22 weeks here and I, too, was wondering when I would start feeling kicks with an anterior placenta. I've felt him move several times a day, every day for a week now. Yay! DD (7) has also felt him a couple times and DH just felt him for the first time tonight! I am feeling huge already, sleeping is so uncomfortable, and I'm having horrific hip pain every time I flip from right to left side at night. Ugh. I had this before, but I swear, not this early. I limp getting to the bathroom at night. and felt like my legs/hips were going to completely give out last night. I may need something to hold on to from now on. Sheesh, crazy elastin. But I am feeling motivated to do some diaper sewing, and crafting and otherwise feeling pretty good. Oh, and BEST of all? My extremely oily hair and skin is normal! Normal!! My favorite part of pregnancy! No break outs, I don't even feel like I need to wash my bangs/fringe everyday anymore, usually they are a greasy mess at the end of the day. @comber, sorry you are feeling anti social, I'd feel the same way if I heard rude comments like that! And for the record, I have tons of stuff still to do also before the baby comes, I'm no where near ready, but we have so much time and babies need so little. Tell them to shove it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
@comber, sorry you are feeling anti social, I'd feel the same way if I heard rude comments like that! And for the record, I have tons of stuff still to do also before the baby comes, I'm no where near ready, but we have so much time and babies need so little. Tell them to shove it!
Thank you for the solidarity, Fox-fern. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Things are going well here. No major complaints or aches. Sleeping is getting harder though. Lots and lots of kicks from the little guy which is fun.

We've been doing lots of weekend trips and enjoying the short Alaska summer. Last weekend we did a big fishing trip and camped out two nights on the beach dippnetting for sockeye salmon to fill our freezer. We got 27 smallish fish, smoked most of it and froze the rest. Ate fresh fillets for several nights - delicious. Glad the timing worked out- if I would have been a month further along I probably wouldn't have fit in my waders!
@Fox-fern my hair has also dried out big time! I'm only washing it twice a week - it's great! This didn't happen to me last time...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
jaimezee - My left hip gives me problems too, and I also have sciatica. Sometimes what helps me go to sleep is putting an ice pack under the hurting side so that it numbs my pain. It says I'm not supposed to lay on it, but so far it hasn't broken open.
I stopped wearing skirts back in first trimester; even when I'm not pregnant, I can't wear skirts when my hips are hurting. I'm wearing dresses until my daughter is born. (the concept of having anything around my middle other than my underwear just sounds uncomfortable to me during pregnancy - I stopped wearing pants about 10 years ago except for a short time postpartum, and I can only wear skirts on days when I'm feeling thin and not hurting, not pregnant) I hope you're able to find a skirt that fits you better soon, if that's what you want to keep wearing with your seven shirts.
My children are like yours, excited and happy about their new sister :)

comber - yay for feeling the baby move! This is one of my favorite parts of being pregnant. My daughter hasn't quite figured out yet that when she kicks and I gently poke back, she can kick me again.
Don't let people get you down about not being ready yet. If (God forbid) your baby was born anytime soon, he or she would be in the NICU for months, and you would still have time to get ready (when you're not in the hospital that is). Hopefully that won't happen and your baby will wait until November to be born, and you'll have time to get things together. I haven't unpacked baby clothes or put the crib together and hope to wait until my daughter is at least 30 weeks old; as long as I know where everything is or how to get it, I'm not worried.
A friend told me that irritability I struggled with earlier in pregnancy could be due to progesterone, which we apparently have more of during pregnancy.

Aillidh - congratulations! Wow, you are so prepared!

stardogs - yay for chiropractic care! I hope to get more of that soon, just trying to get insurance worked out. I hope it's helpful to you.
Yippee for cleaning, good job :)

kcandco - Thank God for no morning sickness! I'm happy you have more energy now.
It is so neat to enjoy the kicks and punches!

Fox-fern - My left hip has hurt for years, whether I'm pregnant or not. Finally during this pregnancy a chiropractor told me I can use ice while pregnant on my back and sides, just not in front. I use it on the side that's hurting most in bed and it helps me fall asleep, and when I change sides, if the side I'm now laying on hurts, it helps that side, too. I hope it could help you, too, because I don't know how I'd fall asleep without it now - hip pain really hurts!
Enjoy your crafting :) I wish I knew how to do some of that.
Thanks be to God for your healthy hair and skin :) Mine isn't quite that good so I'm going to put coconut oil on.
You're right that babies need so little!

AlaskAnne - your trips, freezing, and eating fish sound really nice!

My baby is 22 weeks old today. She's a girl and her first initial is G; my husband likes Gertrude so I'm thinking about that for him. I also like Guadalupe and Germaine. I like Genevieve, too, but want to avoid my mother-in-law calling her Jenny/Genny.
My bladder problems have gone away, thanks be to God. My only complaint now is my feet and how I need to stay off of them, and how I need to put them up so high when sitting down to relieve the pain. It's not like I can go out and pick up sticks (so the neighbor can mow) anyway, these days, because it's either 97% humidity like this morning, or very sunny (or both like right now) or it's thundering and about to storm so not safe to go out. Plus with rain in the forecast so much due to it being rainy season in Florida, I don't know when the neighbor will have a chance to mow, anyway...so the grass can get higher for a few more days for all I care. I miss walking outside like I did last summer, at least a mile almost daily. I don't know how I did it in this heat...I certainly got out of bed earlier. As long as I don't sit around the house too much and I take the short walk at sunset to feed bits of apples (leftover from my children eating them) to the neighbor's horses, though, I'm happy that I get those few minutes outside.

Reactions: comber

·
Registered
71 Posts
@Catholic Mama - your interest in G names and the fact that you are Catholic reminds me that a friend of mine had a baby girl not too long ago and named her Gemma. I think she was even born on the feast day for St. Gemma. :) Oh, and I was wondering, where in FL are you?

Add me to the list of mamas happy with better skin! I'm usually always battling a zit here and there and this pregnancy has brought some of the clearest skin I've had in years! I'm lovin' it! :D

I'm feeling a bit uneasy, myself, about not having anything ready for the baby - but it's mostly because I just don't feel like we need anything. We have so much saved from the other kids, the only thing we need to buy is a new car seat. It's a weird feeling, not needing to prepare. I feel like surely I must be forgetting about something. :/

·
Registered
45 Posts
Catholic mama I love the name ideas! If you went with Genevieve you could ( when mil is around call her 'viv' she may just catch on and never consider Jenny. My husband's cousin has the spanish version of that name Genoveva pronounced hen-o-vay-vuh.

I am either 24 or 25 wks? This is #5 so, I'm just kinda like whatevs. Due nov. 1st though. Feeling great. I'm getting some heartburn if I eat later in the evening. No morning sickness ( I just don't get it ) I do have aversions to green foods. Our baby boy ( 4 other boys lol) will be named Rafael Elijah (the 5th) but we'll call him Elijah to tell him apart from dh. The 3 yr. old says his name his 'bumblebee finger'??? LolHe's moving a lot and my 3 yr old insists

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
kcandco, my daughter wants us to consider Gemma, too. This new daughter's name starts with G because we've gone in alphabetical order, starting with my firstborn, whose name starts with C.

We're north of Tampa in Florida.

I'm happy for you about your clear skin :) I've still got to put that coconut oil on...and I'm sure it'll help when I finish this cheesecake and don't eat any more (until the next special occasion/birthday/excuse to buy another one)...

hottmomma thanks! That's a nice idea, but my mother-in-law would already have Jenny on her mind because one of her daughters is named Jenny and I already told her I'm not really considering Genevieve anymore because she would call her Jenny/Genny, and she admitted it. Thanks for teaching me a little Spanish.

My baby daughter is also my #5 . It's been 5 years since I was pregnant with #4 (no spacing intended) so this baby is special (not that she wouldn't be special otherwise, but more special than every 2 years for example). We're not hoping she'll be our last. She's our "tie-breaker" - we already have two boys and two girls so now we have three girls and two boys, not including parents. I don't get morning sickness either :) but don't say that often so as to not get in trouble with those who do! Rafael Elijah is a beautiful name. It reminds me of the Archangel Raphael, who guided Tobias in my favorite Old Testament book of the Bible, Tobias. (there's a beautiful love story in this book!)
http://drbo.org/chapter/17001.htm

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am at 25 weeks, baby number five. I still need a little nap in the afternoon for about half an hour. Perhaps it is due to all the activity in our house each day? My other pregnancies I generally slept fine but this time around I get up to go to the bathroom every 2 hours and then it takes a while to fall asleep again, that probably explains the afternoon fatigue. Getting around pretty well considering the hot heat of southern Georgia!

This baby is also a tie breaker, we have two boys and two girls. I have only put on 10 pounds so far this pregnancy but I did have some padding left over from the other babies, hoping I can shed some of the weight and get back to a size more like I was after we had our first!

·
Registered
71 Posts
@Catholic Mama, I'm about an hour away from you! :) AND I just finished off two slices of cheesecake myself. We might be soul sisters. ;)

WOW, lots of baby #5 's on here! I love it! It's not often I come across that. I always hear the *GASP! 5!!* LOL

No tie-breaker over here for us, though - this will be our 4th girl. We all had our fingers crossed for a boy so our little guy (he'll be 5 when the baby arrives) would have a buddy, but truth-be-told he's quite enough boy for all of us. Man, that kid keeps us on our toes! :bouncy

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
kcandco, thanks for making me laugh about the cheesecake! I'm timing finishing off the last 2 slices of cheesecake (most of it was for me because I bought a variety cheesecake wheel for my husband and I, since we went to the ER twice last month and didn't exactly celebrate his birthday or our anniversary or Father's Day because of complications I was having, and he was too picky to eat most of it) for when my children are either in bed or otherwise not watching me eat it.

Yes, unfortunately, I've heard the gasp about #5 too. Many people are surprisingly supportive and congratulatory. My neighbor, who is a snowbird - which is great because it means she's gone this summer during most of the pregnancy - reacted with "The pope doesn't raise 'em!" (Just because I happen to be Catholic, means her conception was an accident and I want some old man who is not married to raise my daughter. Right. Thanks. I'm sedevacantist, so I don't believe Francis is a Catholic pope anyway, but I kept it short and said "I wouldn't want him to.")

This baby girl will be a playmate for my #4 , my second daughter, who plays with her two big brothers more than she plays with her oldest sibling, my first daughter. #4 will be about 5 years apart from both her older and her younger sister, but maybe it'll be easier for her to play with someone younger.

I know what you mean about your son being enough boy for all of you. I'm glad my #3 is another son, though, because if #2 had been my only son, I would have been scared to have any more children, especially any more sons! Compared to #2 , #3 is fairly calm and very happy, disregarding the fact that he talks all the time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm glad my #3 is another son, though, because if #2 had been my only son, I would have been scared to have any more children, especially any more sons!
Isn't that funny how that works out? I've heard that comment from quite a few people about the order of their children. My kids have all started out pretty mellow and I like to joke that we are afraid to have any more because surely the next kid would be a real crazy one! Then again, they all look exactly alike, too, so I always joke that we'll keep having more just to see if we can get one that looks different! :p

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I must have been getting ready for my nap when I wrote that. #2 was my only son at the time, and I'm glad we kept going and had #3 , #4 , and now #5 . I'm glad #2 isn't my only son so I can experience (relative) calmness and happiness with #3 , as opposed to #2 's breaking down crying when frustrated and getting into trouble so often.

That's funny that all of your children look exactly the same. My first daughter and second son have my hair color, and my first son and second daughter have my husband's hair color. So we joke that we find out the sex (with ultrasound during pregnancy) and our surprise is the baby's hair color when born; our babies have all been born with hair!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ohhhh I looooove babies with hair! All of mine have just had a little peach fuzz on top, and then it grows into a mullet. Seriously. :rotflmao

·
Registered
368 Posts
Jumping in here! Been a while since I've been able to check in much...our house is turned upside down with painting and rearranging kids' rooms (5 kids in a 3BR house - creativity time!). So I'm happy that at 22w 3d, I've got enough energy to do all this!

We found out our tie breaker: this little one is a BOY! So excited, I felt like this was a boy...it really threw a wrench in the babies sharing a room, but that's ok, we'll make it work. ;)

The weirdest thing I experienced this pregnancy was my hair shedding - saw my naturopath, and she found I was deficient in B12. Some good vitamins, liquid B-complex, and progesterone cream made me feel so much better! Maybe @comber & @AlaskAnne, something like that might help your hair?

@kcandco, I've also got an anterior placenta, so it's great to finally be feeling those little kicks and thumps & bumps! :love

@catholicmama, love Gemma! But my grandmother's name is Gertrude - she went by Trudy in her younger years. ;)

Gotta run for now, but wanted to wish all of you mamas a wonderful day! (or week, if I don't get back here...lol)

Reactions: comber

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gah, I feel like such an old lady in this pregnancy. I'm happy baby is healthy, but it's really throwing me off, how much this pregnancy is affecting my own body! My other pregnancies were not like this! After a call to my midwife and a trip to urgent care, I found out I am now dealing with inflamed cartilage of my ribs, also called costochondritis. Tylenol is doing nothing for the pain in my ribs and back, and can't take an anti-inflammatory. Ugh. Trying heating packs and going to try some epson salts and arnica, maybe a trip to a chiro, as sleeping is so hard and even breathing sometimes hurts. I've heard it can last until the baby is born. :( I am so ready to be done with this pregnancy already!
In other news, My DD (7) is having surgery on Monday, tonsillectomy. I am a nervous wreck. Please send some good thoughts our way!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts