Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
x-posted from the Breastfeeding forum<br><br>
Hi ladies. i am due with our 3rd baby next month and wanted to ask some questions before I get consumed by the chaos of new baby! :)<br>
In the past I have had supply issues with my other 2 babies. With this pg, this is the first time I had colostrum at like 26 weeks! I have also heard that each consecutive pg builds more ducts? So my question is, should I anticipate a low supply again? I know there are foods that boost supply like oatmeal and herbal things like nettle and I can't remember the rest. I did resort to Domperidone at one point and it helped.<br>
Also, does everyone continue taking prenatal vitamins?<br>
No known medical reasons for the low supply - I don't think my supply was as bad as it could've been (ie/ I never had to supplement with formula), but I really had to work at keeping it up- like pumping in between nursing etc......And with DD#2 i had to EP because of cleft lip/palate but stopped sooner than I wanted because my supply just tapered off regardless of what I did after 14 months. (DD#1 I was younger, dumber, and weaned after 3 months because of incorrect latch issues before I found a LC)<br>
Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It's hard to say whether you will have a lowish supply again or not. Each BFing relationship is different, but many say that their supply goes up with each pregnancy / bfing relationship.<br><br>
You should read the "low milk supply" stickie at the top of this forum for more ideas for maximizing your supply.<br><br>
Congrats on the upcoming birth of your LO!

·
Registered
351 Posts
You are supposed to have more milk with each subsequent pregnany. You can take shatavari while pregnant. Also, you can take gost's rur for the last month of pregnancy. You can also drink teas in any combo of alfalfa, nettle, red clover, oat straw, and dandelion leaf to help, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts