Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So I did a search here on MDC for threads on the Feingold diet and most that came up were pretty old and the links in the threads didn't work (probably because of the new platform) so I thought I'd start a new one.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd looked into it years ago (when my oldest DS was 1st DXed w/ADHD) but couldn't start it with him since he was living mostly at his dad's, now 10 years later 2nd DS has also been DXed w/ADHD and older DS can't do meds anymore (either not working anymore- Concerta, bad side effects- Aderal, I refuse to try- Ritalin, or my insurance doesn't cover any other). We don't want to medicate my 5yr but need to try something to help him.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've looked at the Feingold website and really we can not afford the price of the program. I've read over and over how helpful their program and message boards/support is but I can't do that price. I know there are a lot of families here that are part of the program but it feels a little like it's all some big secret no one can share outside of the group! lol</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My question(s):</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What do I eliminate- esp fruit wise? I remember reading somewhere (for free) 10 years ago all you could eat and couldn't (wish I had saved that info) but can't find anything close to it anywhere.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is there anywhere to get even basic info on the diet and what to eat and not to eat? I know you have to pay for the brand lists so they can continue to do the research/compile the info. BUT I need to try something NOW and get my boys some help. And buy/join when we can afford it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Help PLEASE.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
38 Posts
<p>You can learn the basics of the Feingold diet at <a href="http://www.feingold.org" target="_blank">www.feingold.org</a> Start saving to join. The money spent is worth every penny. The diet eliminates</p>
<ul><li>Artificial (synthetic) coloring</li>
<li>Artificial (synthetic) flavoring</li>
<li>Aspartame (Nutrasweet, an artificial sweetener)</li>
<li>Artificial (synthetic) preservatives BHA, BHT, TBHQ</li>
</ul><p>In the beginning (Stage One) of the Feingold Program, aspirin and some foods containing salicylate are eliminated. Salicylate is a group of chemicals related to aspirin. There are several kinds of salicylate, which plants make as a natural pesticide to protect themselves. Those that are eliminated are listed in the salicylate list which is included also in the Program Handbook. Most people can eventually tolerate at least some of these salicylates.</p>
<p>You will notice this dietary program is often referred to as a <i>program</i> because fragrances and non-food items which contain the chemicals listed above are also eliminated.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The salicylates eliminated are Aspirin and products containing aspirin or salicylic acid, Almonds, Apples, Apricots, Berries (all), Cherries, Chili powder, Cider & cider vinegar,(apples),</p>
<p>Cloves, Coffee, Cucumbers & pickles, Currants, Grapes & raisins, Nectarines, Oranges, Paprika, Peaches, Peppers (bell & chili) Plums, prunes, Tangerines, Tea, Tomatoes, Wine & wine vinegar (grapes), Oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate), and Rose hips or acerola (often found in vitamins)<br>
 </p>
<p>As you save up the money or get the membership for Christmas maybe? join the Yahoo group. The Foodlist & Shopping Guide needs to be up to date and for your region of the country. You want to do this right.<br>
 </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts